PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Chain Slack

porkchop22406
06-11-2006, 01:08 PM
I have a stock swing arm on an 01 400ex. It came off on me yesterday on a trail, it is loose enough to start on top and roll the bike back to get it back on. How do I tighten the chain, or do I need a new one??? Thanks for any help!

06-11-2006, 01:13 PM
if it is taht loose, chances are you need a new one. along with new sprockets too. the sprockets should always be changed with the chain

porkchop22406
06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Ok, thanks for that info. How much am I looking for a new front and rear sprocket and new chain.???

RaptorRacer45
06-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Probably $70-$90 average

Sjorge450R
06-11-2006, 02:30 PM
yeah my DID ATV X ring was about 80 and then I got a primary drive rear sprocket and JT front. Totaled up to right under 100. I wouldnt cheap out on something like a chain.

Did you try and tighten the chain?

porkchop22406
06-11-2006, 04:17 PM
heres my dumb response to that.......how do i tighten the chain???

Sjorge450R
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by porkchop22406
heres my dumb response to that.......how do i tighten the chain???

ahh, see. You were going to buy a new chain. No problem. I will help you out.

There are 4 allen bolts along the back of the swingarm. Loosen them alot, but not enough to make them come out. Then get some channel locks and on the left side of the swing arm,(acually part of your bearing carrier) put the channel locks in the grooves and rotate the carrier towards you. Then check for chain slack. (I run about .5" slack) Now tighten everything up and go out riding.

Steve

porkchop22406
06-11-2006, 06:29 PM
How will that tighten the chain, if i may ask yet another dumb question??

GPracer2500
06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
How will that tighten the chain, if i may ask yet another dumb question??

Since you acknowledge the dumbness of your question, I'll answer.

The axle rides in a non-concentric carrier. Rotating the carrier moves the axle forward or backward. Basically, the axle doesn't run through the middle of the carrier--it's off center a little bit. So when you rotate the carrier, the axle moves reletive to the swingarm. That changes the tension on the chain. Also, the short end of the allen wrench that comes in the tool kit (if you have it) is designed to fit in the three slots on the carrier so you can rotate it forward or backwards. But channel locks or whatever else you have on hand will work.

BTW, I was just kidding about it being a dumb question. ;) And, your sig line made me laugh.

porkchop22406
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Ok, thanks for your info. I'll try that tomorrow when I get off work. Hopefully I'll see what you mean, but when I rotate it, do I rotate it towards the front or rear of the bike?? And again, its ok...i know they are dumb questions. I'm just totally new to quads, and dont know very much, but would like to learn by doing myself.

GPracer2500
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I think you rotate it towards you to tighten. But when you do it the right or wrong direction will be self evident.

Sjorge450R
06-11-2006, 06:52 PM
rotate it down.(towards you)

porkchop22406
06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
ok, so i messed with it a little bit just now. i didnt rotate it down that much seeing in how i had to use a screw driver and a hammer. Dont worry, i was very gentle to her. I only brought it down about maybe 1/4 turn or so...and it didnt seem to tight to much. I think i may just wanna replace the sprockets and chain with all new stuff...have a shop do it so I know its done right. God know sim not a mechanic.....I guess if you guys think I didnt go far enough, or what..just let me know...but thats for your hellp...cause now I know "how" to tighten a chain, lol

John

Sjorge450R
06-12-2006, 07:17 PM
ok, so i messed with it a little bit just now. i didnt rotate it down that much seeing in how i had to use a screw driver and a hammer. Dont worry, i was very gentle to her. I only brought it down about maybe 1/4 turn or so...and it didnt seem to tight to much. I think i may just wanna replace the sprockets and chain with all new stuff...have a shop do it so I know its done right. God know sim not a mechanic.....I guess if you guys think I didnt go far enough, or what..just let me know...but thats for your hellp...cause now I know "how" to tighten a chain, lol

John

that wasnt enough. Get some channel locks and just grab it in a rotate clock wise. If you do end up buying new stuff, dont have a shop put it on. Its a really really easy task to do and there are many people on here, including myself that can help guide you while you are doing.

porkchop22406
06-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Ok, thanks for all the info, I'm going to go and try to tighten it some more. I have considered putting it up for sale. Seems that I cant really find anyone to ride with, so.. It's getting old riding by myself. But If and when I replce it...I will glading ask for more assitance

John

porkchop22406
06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
YOU GUYS KICK ***! lol, and I'm such a complete idiot/moron/short bus rider. I went a little further this time and it tightend up just fine. Just wondering now, how much slack should I have, I have maybe about an inch or little more, is that ok?

Sjorge450R
06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
you have to remember that when your swing arms goes through its travel that it is going to put tension on the chain, since the swing arm is acually moving away from the quad. I usually run about close too 1" of slack, but I run a chain tensionor. Have some one sit on the grab bar while you are adjusting it and then get it so that there is about .5" of slack.

If you have any more questions, just let us know.

porkchop22406
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, without mesuring it I would guess around 1-2 inches of play. I'm a big boy myself, 6'0, 320lbs, so......I took it down tot he trails and romped it a littl ebit, seemed to do just fine. Much easier to wheelie as well after i took some slack out. It also seemed to fix the sound of a loose chain after i let off the throttle a bit, so. I guess I'll run it like this until the next problem occurs.lol. Thanks again for everyones help. Does anyone happen to live in virginia??? looking for some people to go riding with!

John

Sjorge450R
06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Well, without mesuring it I would guess around 1-2 inches of play. I'm a big boy myself, 6'0, 320lbs, so......I took it down tot he trails and romped it a littl ebit, seemed to do just fine. Much easier to wheelie as well after i took some slack out. It also seemed to fix the sound of a loose chain after i let off the throttle a bit, so. I guess I'll run it like this until the next problem occurs.lol. Thanks again for everyones help. Does anyone happen to live in virginia??? looking for some people to go riding with!

John

look in the "Where to Ride" part of this forum.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24