PDA

View Full Version : Cobra pipes?

rebelex300
06-10-2006, 11:55 PM
i have a cobra jet full exhaust on my 300ex. its been on there for over a year now. what is bad about the cobra? mine is in great shape has not rusted or given me any problems. it definitly gave me more power over stock. im just curious about why everyone says these pipes are bad... i know they are loud but im running a 128 main, smaller needle i think im on the 2nd notch from the bottom, 2 3/4 turns out on the pilot, uni filter no lid ive had the same plug in it for well over a year. it is a nice brown color too. i do have diff. sprockets too 14-36 i can easily pull out in 2nd, other than that i have now other engine mods and my 300 will tear my buddy's 06 300(yes it is stock) a new @$$. i do want to get a new exhaust tho but why should i if the cobra performs just as good as the top name exhausts? what jets are you running in your 300's with pipes and filters and no other engine mods? i jsut want to compare the cobra to other exhaust. thanks guys.

400eXr1d3rZ
06-11-2006, 01:13 AM
why do you want to get a new exhaust if cobra is "good", im not saying its not, ive had no experiance with one. just why do u want a new one, too loud?

rebelex300
06-11-2006, 10:00 AM
well i was leaning towards an HMF full system because ive heard so much about them having a nice sound and good performance gains.. my cobra dont sound bad. it is loud but its not a buzzy loud. i just dont see how one exhaust can be so much better when they look the same except stock. the performance gain is mostly in the head pipe. the sparks head pipe is huge compared to the cobra. my cobra headpipe is almost a 1 1/2 in diameter from the head to the beginning of the can. what about other headpipes? what size are they?

rooster300ex
06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I can see a cobra pipe bashing coming on. They aren't a bad pipe its just they are cheaply made and they are ungodly loud. mine is. they may be made cheaper, but mine has held up real good. and i've abused it too, and from a stock pipe to a cobra i've seen people say there isn't a huge power gain over stock pipe.

deathman53
06-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I had a cobra on my 86 200x and it was very loud(almost too loud). I put a spark arrester on the end and it actualy worked better(and alot quieter). I have since cut the header pipe and put in a 350x supertrapp and I am far happier and it sounds alot better too. my cobra had black paint on the header, it burned off after about 4 hours of riding, I was far from impressed with the qualitly and the noise really got to me.

exrider008
06-11-2006, 04:21 PM
i had one on my old 300 and it was WAY to loud. but it gave me alot more power then the stock one.

400eXr1d3rZ
06-11-2006, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rebelex300
[B]well i was leaning towards an HMF full system because ive heard so much about them having a nice sound and good performance gains..
[QUOTE]

curtis sparks has a great power increase and a roar

bwamos
06-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Agree with above.

On the 300ex go with the Sparks X-4 it is actually cheaper than the HMF Full system pipe. (not the case with most other machines). I beleive the X-4 is $349 or thereabouts.

If you've already got the cobra though.. honestly.. keep it until you mod the motor. It's good enough for an almost stock 300ex. You will see a difference, but not $350 worth.

I'd reccomend an 11:1 piston and a cam before you upgrade the pipe.

krt400ex
06-12-2006, 08:58 AM
what jets are you running in your 300's with pipes and filters and no other engine mods? i jsut want to compare the cobra to other exhaust. thanks guys.

My 300 has a White Bro's E-Series slip-on and 4 holes in the air box lid with a white powerfilter. I jetted it to a 130 main and left the pilot stock and it runs great.

bwamos
06-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Depends on the pipe.

With an old FMF PowerMax (similar to the MegaMax, but smaller can). I ran a DJ kit 129dj, their needle, and pilot settins. Spot on at my elevation (900 ft).

With my Sparks x-4 before I rebuilt the motor, I ran the settings on the sparks site and it was very close. (135k, 42pilot, etc.)

Now, I run 142 Main, Stock needle 4th slot, 42 Pilot, 2.5 turns out)

My seals all got hard in my stock carb though.. so instead of rebuilding it I'm in the process of getting a 400ex carb.. so I get to jet all over again.. fun fun.. lol.

Sjorge450R
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Depends on the pipe.

With an old FMF PowerMax (similar to the MegaMax, but smaller can). I ran a DJ kit 129dj, their needle, and pilot settins. Spot on at my elevation (900 ft).

With my Sparks x-4 before I rebuilt the motor, I ran the settings on the sparks site and it was very close. (135k, 42pilot, etc.)

Now, I run 142 Main, Stock needle 4th slot, 42 Pilot, 2.5 turns out)

My seals all got hard in my stock carb though.. so instead of rebuilding it I'm in the process of getting a 400ex carb.. so I get to jet all over again.. fun fun.. lol.

all man.I love jetting. (being sarcastic) Before I got into the motor, I had a SUpertrap IDS-2Full Race System and K&N and I was at a 124 DJ with there needle and settings.