PDA

View Full Version : i need a GOOD aftermarket carrier

cals400ex
06-10-2006, 08:22 PM
i need a new carrier for my bike. i was looking at RAD but i may now consider the RPM to go with my RPM axle. i want a double row. i know the tapered ones can handle more abuse. however i am interested in dragging and i have been told the double rows may have a little less friction. i am easy on my bike so durability is not an issue. i still have my stock bearings and carrier in my 400ex and it is a 2001. so thats how easy i am on my bike. however, if one double row is stronger or has better bearings then i want to get that. just looking for suggestions.

JW450R1
06-11-2006, 06:18 AM
rpm is a good carrier assembly.from what i've been told that the tappered bearings are more maintaince,and u need to adjust the
rear axle nut all the time,because of bearing fade.i would just get a rpm twin row bearing carrier.also u should pull the seals and bearing out before u install it to your quad and repact the bearings.then u should be good to go....

Dave400ex
06-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I have been looking at carriers lately and narrowed my choices to the RPM, Lonestar, Baldwin, or Houser. They all seem to be pretty close to the same. One thing I like about the Houser though is that you can grease it from the outside.

JW450R1
06-11-2006, 10:56 AM
yes, u can grease them from the outside.
i had a aftermarket carrier that i was just greasing from the outside,thinking that was good enough.i found out y i was bearing up bearing twice a year.if u take apart a brake new carrier and removed the bearing(very nicely)u can actually grease that brand new bearing.the new bearing r really not greased enough from the factory.about that grease fitting.if your seal lets some sand or dirt slipp by it during riding and u just grease the fitting,u are really just pushing the dirt around the inside of your carrier and maybe right into your bearings,causing them to
prematurely wear out.since i've been manually cleaning and greseing the carrier.i have had no problems since......

cals400ex
06-11-2006, 12:55 PM
so no one is looking into the rad carriers?

300ex mxracer
06-11-2006, 02:43 PM
my lonestar hasnt had any problems...

kyleschonert
06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I have a RAD and I like it alot.

gibson400ex
06-13-2006, 06:49 AM
herrmann

duke416ex
06-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
so no one is looking into the rad carriers?

I had a Rad in my 400 and loved it, they have good customer service too. I would probably get Rad if I got another one and definately wouldn't get anything but a tapered carrier.

cals400ex
06-13-2006, 10:44 PM
why a tapered? just the durability?

rooster300ex
06-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I've got a RAD and it works great. Remember to buy an extra set of bearings & seals for when you gotta replace them in the future.

400exrider707
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Rads are definitely nice units especially for the money. I recently purchased a couple of burgard double rows on ebay. $137 shipped, and it comes from hellbound racing, so to me it gets here the next day!!! Great guys to do business with if you haven't yet. So far the carriers are holding up just fine. I dont see the point in paying double the money for a "better" name, when its nearly the same thing. The only thing I would rather see on these is a grease fitting that is accessible while the carrier is in the bike, like the houser ones. It does have a grease fitting but its in the middle and on stock swingers, or any swinger that doesn't have the cut-away in the back, you have to remove it to grease it. To me it wasn't worth the extra $100 for that option though.

cals400ex
06-14-2006, 06:54 PM
my rad on my 400ex had a grease zerk on the side of it. i thought it was nice but i don't think it got to the other bearing as much.

Pappy
06-14-2006, 07:20 PM
LOL...one of the big named manufactures posted here on the site that the external zerk is pretty much worthless even though he made them:p

And quite a few of the named units in this thread are made by the same company, and the others are exact copy's of other proven designs.

Pick your poison and go for price.

duke416ex
06-15-2006, 07:10 AM
The tapered are supposed to last longer and rad did give lifetime warranties on the bearings and carrier. I had trouble with it one time and they replaced the whole thing. They said the bearings were made for a 10 ton truck and couldn't figure out what I had done, but they still replaced it :D

Mine had an external zerk, I looked at it very long deciding if it worked good or not. It did get grease to the other side. I think were most people mess up is the grease they use. I used a marine grease for boats, that way it would hold up better in water. Second, I think most people just hit it a squirt or two and let it go. I did mine a little different, I greased it atleast every other ride, only takes a second like spraying the chain, and I would pump grease til It came out around the axle. Yea you have to spray it off when you clean it, but to never have to mess with bearings again I can deal with it.

rooster300ex
06-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL...one of the big named manufactures posted here on the site that the external zerk is pretty much worthless even though he made them:p

And quite a few of the named units in this thread are made by the same company, and the others are exact copy's of other proven designs.

Pick your poison and go for price.

When i grease mine i grease it until new clean grease comes out and it rolls smoother everytime i do it, and i've never had bearings in my carrier this long. its gotta do something for it.

Pappy
06-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
When i grease mine i grease it until new clean grease comes out and it rolls smoother everytime i do it, and i've never had bearings in my carrier this long. its gotta do something for it.

Have you disassembled it to see exactly where the grease is going:p If you look at a few of them disassembled, you might just chuckle at the designs. Some of them will barely grease the zerk side bearing. Infact, the center zerk carriers are usually just as bad IMO....but as long as some grease is getting in there to displace the water thats bound to be in the carrier...life should be better then NOT greasing it.

JW450R1
06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
i agree with pappy with the one grease fitting on the chain side.nothing beats packing the bearing while they are out of the carrier.just a lot of maintaince.

rooster300ex
06-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Have you disassembled it to see exactly where the grease is going:p If you look at a few of them disassembled, you might just chuckle at the designs. Some of them will barely grease the zerk side bearing. Infact, the center zerk carriers are usually just as bad IMO....but as long as some grease is getting in there to displace the water thats bound to be in the carrier...life should be better then NOT greasing it.

No pappy i haven't disassembled one before, but when i do have to change my bearings i'll sure check it out. i'll let ya know if it gets a chuckle out of me. *L*