PDA

View Full Version : HRC Questions

ghott
06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
I just bought an '05 TRX450R a couple weeks ago and am looking at the HRC Kit for it. However, I have several questions that I hope you guys can help me out with. So far it is mostly stock, with only some nerf bars and a 13t sprocket up front.

From my searches, I've found that the HRC kit on the 2004/2005 model TRX's is supposed to net a 13% power gain...or 5-6hp. Of this new power, I don't know if it is a bottom end, mid-range, or top end, or a complete gain.

This said, it seems like a pretty nice power gain for the money, but I was wondering what the cost to power ratio would be if I went a different way.

I've seen many of you on here suggest the Hot Cams Stage 2 which looks like it gives about 2-3 more HP from the dyno sheets on their web site.

I was wondering if a full exhaust system (don't know what brand produces the most power), the Hot Cams Stage 2 cam, and some different jets would cost more or less than the HRC kit, and/or produce more power for the money??

Some of your all's opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ryann mx68
06-10-2006, 08:13 PM
if your gonna buy a exhaust system,

then i would just buy a cam, couple of jets, remove or mod your lid, drill out breather "t".

the cam and jets should be about $130

buy a quality pipe, hmf, rossier, yoshi..... all good systems, sound great, great power.

bansheexcracer2
06-10-2006, 08:35 PM
I would get a full exuast system, crf 450 cam (same as hrc), and a uni air filter and that will get you alot beter off.

tltcracing
06-10-2006, 10:29 PM
i think the HRC kit is the biggest bang for the buck out there. 200 bucks gets you 6hp. to get that anyother way you would have to buy a full pipe (about $500), aftermarket cam($140), and air fillter($30-$50) plus re jet!

HRC $200 vs. Pipe, cam, air filter $670 and up

the choice should be clear

honda really hit the nail on the head with this kit, and the best part is that it includes everything you need even the jet!

DJJ450r
06-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I think the HRC cam is more of a top end cam. I have Rossier pipe, UNI airfilter and HRC kit and I have plenty of top end power. But when I'm going up a hill I have to keep the RPM's up to make it. Hopefully when I get a JE 13:1 piston I'll have more low end:macho

ryann mx68
06-11-2006, 07:10 AM
but......he is gonna buy a exhaust system anyway. so why buy the hrc kit?

makes no sence. just buy a cam and some jets.

you could buy a crf cam [hrc], but you can get the hotcam st2 for less $$, which i would recommend = tons of mid-power, great low and top gains also.

GIXXER1KR
06-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I totally agree with Ryann.He is correct!Dont bother witht he HRC kit .I only got mine for the 06 because it comes with the header!And i got the extended warranty so the dealer installed mine!Buy a Cam and full exhaust and rejet and take off the lid!!!

ghott
06-11-2006, 09:11 AM
From the sound of it, it seems like the HRC cam will not give me power throughout the curve, from bottom to top end, but the HCSII will?

I will be riding mostly trails with some open field drags, so bottom end power, and power all throughout the curve is pretty important.

MAD450r
06-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I've ridden with 2 guys with full pipes and hc stage 2. I kill both of them everytime. You may save a bit going with hotcam, but you will never beat an hrc equipped R with that setup. Oh and on the 04-05 the hrc is not the crf cam.

The 04-05 hrc cam is a mid to topend cam, so yes you need to keep the R's up a bit.

The only quad that can hang with my 04 in a strait line or on the track that I ride iwth is the suzuki ltr that is fully uncorked as well.

Many on these forums wont believe me but its true I have yet to loose to another R, not even an hrc equiped 06, he was really close off the line but thats it once we hit 3rd gear my R just pulls away.

JW450R1
06-11-2006, 10:35 AM
i have a 04 450r.i installed a hrc kit,and had it ported and polished stage 2.WOW what a difference.then i installed a hmf full exhaust system.the pulling power is just unbeleivable can't explain this type of power.huge mid range to top end change.i'm very happy with the power.i think it was the complete combo.the hmf full exhaust gave a lot of power at low to mid end,which too away from the loss of low end groant.let us all know what u deside what u r doing and what difference it made....

ryann mx68
06-11-2006, 12:39 PM
heres the point:

if your gonna get a exhaust [hmf, or whatever], just buy a cam and some jets.

doesnt really matter what cam you buy [crf/hrc, hc, web]

some cams will be better suited to your riding style, due to duration and lift. if all you care about is draggin, get a [custom grind]top end cam. if all you ride is tight/ nasty stuff get a 02 crf cam or hcst1. i have hcst2 and its suited to me perfect, i dont drag and could care less. the hcst2 and hrc cam give more power everywhere, the hrc is more towards the topend, the hcst2 is more mid-topend

what cam you run has nothing to do with how well you do on a mx track, its all rider.

ghott
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I realize that on the MX track, its all about the rider and not the cam, but I will be doing nothing on the MX track. I'm just after that seat of your pants type feeling and was wanting to know what combination would give me that feeling of more power all throughout the curve, and an approximate cost of how to get that power.

Its been really hard to tell to this point, some people are saying the HRC kit is great on power and a great deal, others say its not worth it, just buy a pipe and a different cam, it'll be cheaper in the long run and etc...

This is all pretty confusing to me, and with all the opinions floating around, it seems to get even more confusing...I wish there was just some sort of chart for comparing cams and exhaust systems to see what kind of combo makes what kind of power and where at on the power curve.

JW450R1
06-11-2006, 05:08 PM
u should really buy a needle to go with those jets,cause the matched needle does make a difference too.they do have a different daper to them....