PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! crazy high idle

tltcracing
06-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I run a 2005 R with a HRC cam, uni air filter with no lid, white bros. aluminum race pipe, stock carb and piston, and have the HRC 185 jet in. two days ago i got a FMF jet kit and got to work on re jetting. I live in Florida so my elevation is about 40 ft. Before i rejetted my bike idled a litle high (the idle stop was turned all the way down and i had yet to learn about the pilot screw). but after i met up by chance with atv racing rodney gentry (he and his dad tuned it) my bike ran better than i ever dreamed. but of course i have to go screw it all up. i used the FMF jet kit that has tiny little plug that goes in the main air jet witch i thought was strange because it plugs up the hole. but anyway i have the needle on the second clip and the 180 jet in. the pilot screw is turned in all the way and idle stop is all the way down and it still idles a little high. i have tried it on the third groove but the idle is higher. i dont know whats wrong and why the idle is so high. is it running to lean? I tried every main jet and only found out that the larger the jet the better it gets but not perfect. should i go back to the stock jetting or do i have some leak some ware. i really need help because i wouldn’t ride the bike if it was running like this.

EDIT: it backfires when i try to start it( about every third kick and i dont touch the gas) and back fires some where i le off the gas. the pilot screw is all the way in and i didnt think it was supposed to run with that all the way in. i have read about a pilot jet but the shop manual doesnt use that term so i dont know what it is, is it the slow or starter jet ( 2 different jets).

2nd EDIT: (im finding these things out as i go) using the hot start makes the motor slow down to where i want it. i think this means that the motor isnt getting enough air but does this mean that its not getting enough air or if its getting to much fuel? remember that i have i have tried all jets and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th needle clip positions.

3rd EDIT: Ok, after about 6 hours of reading and working on the carb i think it may be caused by that little plug that goes in the main air jet. I think this because the motor runs better when i use the hot start. i think the hot start gives it more air and the little plug took away air. but i dont know how to ge it back out, it doesnt screw in you have to hammer it in. maybe drill it? can you adjust the slow jet by screwing it in or out, or do you have to buy other ones? i am trying to be as though as possible so that there are no questions just answers.

cals400ex
06-10-2006, 05:42 PM
if your idle isn't changing by the idle adjustment, somethign is wrong.....do you have any slack in your throttle cable? if not, this is a problem. you should have your fuel screw out some. maybe 1.5 to 2.5 turns out from lightly seated. you will not want your needle clip in the second position from the top. that would be too lean in my opinion. well, wiht the jet kit i do not know. with the stock or HRC needle then you should not be there in my opinion.

Pilot jet = slow jet
the stock one is a keihin 48

you can not turn this in and out for adjustment. you have to buy a different size.

tltcracing
06-10-2006, 06:28 PM
i have checked the slide and throtle lines and all that checks out fine. i think that the min prob might be the main air jet plug that dynojet tells you to use.