PDA

View Full Version : 250r questions

Lil90man!!
08-12-2002, 10:01 PM
i typed this once but my computer froze and lost all i typed so here i go again:o OK my brother in law bought a "new" 86 250r. he got it really cheap but it was in peices we got it back together but it needs adjusted. in 1/2/3 the only place it'll run is RIGHT before u have to shift, i know its a 2 stroke but when u hit it it just"bluuuuuuu" and slowly climbs the revs, and spits and sputters until its WIDE open then it clears out, u shift, it starts over.. until about 4th gear then the powerband kicks in alot sooner and it takes off like a rocket and pulls 5th and 6th like crazy. what' would cause this? also this is holding it wot the entire time too** 2nd it has a 172 main jet in it(i'm guessing this is a stock style jet*) does this sound right(it has a paul turner pipe/silencer, boyseen rad vavle:confused: and a k'n filter, resleeved cylinder to stock bore) someone suggesting going back to a stock 150 mj would this help the low speed sputtering problem? also the gas tank says run a mix of 20:1 gas/oil honda hp2 says mix it a certain way and it mixes at 32:1 what is the correct mix ratio or what do u guys run?? i'm not a 2-stoke expert so don't bash me if i said something stupid there i'm jus try'n to help my bro get his bike runnin good, thanx for any help you guys

stocktires
08-12-2002, 11:00 PM
A 172 sounds really high. I have the same mods (plus a cool head) and I run like a 153-155 or so. But the main jet is being used when your at the top of the powerband (3/4 throttle and up), so switching to a smaller main shouldn't help.

does it struggle from the very bottom to about 3/4 throttle? Or from like 1/4-3/4?

airheadedduner
08-13-2002, 12:58 AM
A 172mj sounds really high. What color is the plug and how does it run at high rpm? Does it miss at all up there?? . It sounds to me like it is rich everwhere but the main. I would jet the needle next. A sluggish midrange is typicly a too rich needle\clip possition. Does it idle okay?? How about if you roll on the throttle from a dead stop, what does it do there????

EricB
08-13-2002, 02:03 AM
well by the looks of the bike i'd guess the guy used to own a honda 4stroke? hehe it doesn't look like it's been well maintained by the picture. but thats hard to judge by, my bikes always dirty but i take care of whats important. anyhow, you might consider taking the carb apart if your comfortable. just make sure everything is clean, check the floats they could be bent or hung up. we had that problem with our FL250, it was running pretty simmilar and the floats were some how bent. i'm pretty sure water got in the bowl and froze or soemthing. but as far as the jetting goes that does seem pretty rich, the guy must have been riding at really high elevations or something.

Lil90man!!
08-13-2002, 07:43 PM
well mostly its the midrange it pops an misses if u hold it there, but when u hold it wide open its really sluggish also until it gets really wound up then it seems to clear out a lil or when its in like 4th 5th n 6th, it has me confused, i know jetting is all on throttle postion, right? so when u hold it wide open, it should run fine, even if the needle and everything is all out of adjustment, right? but its sluggish until it really winds up, but u when u hold it between 1/4-3/4 throttle it pops and misses:confused: it will idle fine we adjusted it a little bit and it idles fine. also we tore apart the carb, twice and checked everything and cleaned it and checked the float everything was fine and that's when we found the 172 in there. also bout the didn't take care of it its been in about 10 peices for the last 5 years and yes the plastic is all cracked and crap but he's got new ordered:blah it was well worth what he paid for it;) also it seemed to help if we put a lid on the airbox:huh wouldn't that richen it up even more???:huh :huh Also we pulled the plug it was BLACK and was really wet, if that helps any, i'm confused!:grr

Bean
08-13-2002, 08:21 PM
mine is rich in the mid, and acts like that, but it dont go bbbbbaaaaaaaahhhh, and stop, it keeps pulllin, but i can still tell its a tad rich, mess wit the needle a lil

stocktires
08-13-2002, 09:41 PM
black and wet = wet fouled. Your problem IS jetting.

Since your problem is from 1/4-3/4 I think it might be the needle clip.
Lean out your needle (move the little clip)
Im not sure on which way is makeing it leaner, if someone could help me out on that, Im trying to find that out.
So move the needle clip in a direction, if it gets worse, go the other way. :D

Bean
08-13-2002, 10:47 PM
what he said

airheadedduner
08-13-2002, 11:33 PM
Move the clip up on the needle to lean it out. I would look at going down on the main till you get a tan-med brown color on the plug, but not till after you move the needle.

Lil90man!!
08-14-2002, 09:03 AM
ok 2 questions now, i have included a pic that we just discovered didn't think to much about it the first time we tore it apart but notice the carb top where the throttle cable goes into is all torn would this cause it to not run right? would ordering a new one be a good idea, and does anyone no the correct term for this i can't figure out exactly what it is on service honda:confused: also if we need to adjust the needle i need to figure out how to get it out:rolleyes: i'm guessing you have to pull the spring up take the throttle cable out then it comes out i way or the other:confused: i'm not really sure so any help here is appreciated, thanx for all the help guys

airheadedduner
08-14-2002, 12:57 PM
You need to order a whole cable, you can't replace just that part. It is part number 06-2191A for a motion pro cable from Rocky Mountian. I Just ordered one and it comes with a new carb cap. It cost 17.95.

08-15-2002, 07:30 PM
was the prior owner running methonal fuel? that 172 is giant i have a similar setup, i am running ptr's high rev pipe though, i have a 145 main in mine, i would start by fixing that cap, then i would get the main jet back into reality before i got to excited about fine tuning the rest of the power.

you asked about taking out the needle, when you pull back the spring you push the cable down and take it out of the notch that it is locked in, you will see like a cross inside the slide take a screwdriver and turn it like a qurter turnthen that and the needle will slide out the top of the slide, start with the needle all the way down and move the clip down to move the needle up this will lean out the mix, do that till you think its right.

if i sound full of it let me know. i am no genius lets face it. but just trying to help. what did you rbrother pay for this thing any way?