PDA

View Full Version : mesurement of travel in shocks

juanki
06-10-2006, 11:54 AM
i've been reading diferent pages on hoe to set up the front and rear suspension, and in all they talk about the free sag and rider sag, that it sould be 10 & 30 %, respectibly, of the travel of the shock.

the question is, how to know or mesure that travel? what i think is to compress all the way the shocks and then lift the quad and mesure that, but i'm not sure.

LT250RMan
06-10-2006, 12:07 PM
travel is based on wheel travel so just measure how much the wheels move when compressing the suspension untill it bottoms out and mussure that movement from the tire to the fender.

TBD
06-10-2006, 12:34 PM
The way I would check wheel travel would be to measure the length of the shock with it fully extended from the centers of the mounting holes. Then measure from the bottom of the shock body to the bottom of the bottoming bumper. Make sure you measure from the bottom of the bumper and not the top. You want a metal to metal shaft travel measurement. Once you have that measurement subtract it frm the extended length and that will give you your compressed length of the shock. Put a jack under the quad and lift it to the point that the wheels are just about ready to come of the ground. Then remove the shock. Use a tie down strap and connect it from the bars to the upper a-arm so that you can lift the tire off the ground. Lift the tire until you reach your compressed shock length measurement by measuring from the center of the lower shock mount to the center of the upper shock mount. Once you reach the right hieght you then measure the distance from the floor to the bottm of the tire and that will give you your wheel travel.

juanki
06-10-2006, 01:36 PM
this is waht i read.

Free Sag

This first measurement determines how much free sag your suspension has. Free sag (also called static sag) is the amount of suspension travel that is used when the quad is under its own weight subtracted from the overall suspension travel.

Front Suspension: Have a friend lift the front end of the quad until the A-arms are fully extended but the tires are still in contact with the ground. Take a measurement from the floor to a center point on the front of the quad's frame (mark the point with a marker because you must use that as a point of reference for future measurements). This is called the "unloaded measurement."

Once this measurement has been taken, put the unit back on the ground and bounce the front suspension to let it settle in. Now measure from the ground to the same point on the frame. Subtract the weighted measurement (the second measurement) from the unloaded measurement (the first measurement) to obtain your free sag value.

Ideally, the number you get after doing the math should be around 10 percent of your quad's total suspension travel (example: 1 inch of sag for 10 inches of total suspension travel).

i get most of this, the last part is the one that bothers me
when says quad's total suspension travel,

now that i read it again i think i made a wrong question.

the total suspension travel is the mesure that you desrcibed (TBD) ?