PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 700 or yfz 450 for me???

Dune Surfer
06-10-2006, 09:59 AM
OK I'm a big aggresive rider, 6"1 250 lbs that rides dunes at Glamis fast and hard. My predator is showing its age after a couple of years of hauling me around. MYy question is..... Is a Rappy or yfz going to be a better choice for my style of riding and size??

Dune Surfer
06-10-2006, 10:01 AM
???

NVMYRC
06-10-2006, 10:36 AM
While not an expert I will give you my opinion. We are about the same size. I have ridden both machines and I chose the 700r. The 450 does have a superior suspension for racing but I actually like my suspension a little softer. The big reason though was TORQUE. The 450 is really close speed wise but I really have to work the gears to get that speed. On the 700 it comes much easier. I don't race on tracks and mainly ride in the dunes here in Oregon. The 700 has been a perfect fit and if you really like a stiff suspension you can actually mount up the yfz front shocks to your raptor. Just my $.02.

Craig,

250r4life
06-10-2006, 03:27 PM
i agree... for you i would go with the 700r...

i personally like the 450, cuz i like more of the sport bike and at 5'8'' 170lbs i dont have a probelm feeling cramped on the YFZ... however, i have talked with many people that are bigger than i am, and they didnt like the 450 for the sole reason they felt cramped on it and what not... of course raising the steering stem a bit does a lot, but....

but yah that torque and everything would be good for you as well...

i'd get a 700 is i was you

Blue_Streak23
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
For your size, I would say the 700R would be more comfortable size wise, and power wise. Just my $.02!

Dune Surfer
06-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Tough decision. I'm leaning towards the yfz because of the power band, I like a snappy rev happy motor. It's the one thing I like about my Pred. I have ridden the 660 raptor alot in the dunes, and it climbs everthing. My problem with it is when I gun it, it takes awhile to rev up, and I want it to rev right now. Plus the crazy *******s I ride with, ride glamis like a MX track. There is no taking it easy with these guys. It is always balls to the wall, fifth gear pinned coming out of the bowls. I'll just get a longer steering stem and lower the foot pegs. With the cam mod and bolt on stuff, I should be fast enough.

250r4life
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
yah... that is a tough decision...

with the raptor you can always drop that front sprocket a tooth and that helps with the "snappiness." im not way familiar with the 700, but i imagine it is the same... and yah, raising that sterring stem and inch or two works wonders...

ive never seen a big guy on a yfz though... i'd be curious to know how it worked out for ya, but im sure if you set it up right it would do just fine...

oldsandman
06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I have a Raptor 700 and a TRX450R...so it's fairly similar to the yfz vs. Rappy...If you want a high revving "hit" the YFZ is your ticket. The 700 begs to be short shifted and makes tons of low torque. Similar to a big block. I use the analogy of Ferrari Enzo(TRX/YFZ) vs. Big Block AC Cobra(Raptor700). The TRX or YFZ's are also much more tossible than the Rappy. The new rappy is an improvement over the 660 in handling but still a notch below the YFZ/TRX. All that said the new raptors engine is already being modded to make some impressive #'s. One of my Raptors has a +4 axle, +2 A-arms, axis shocks, LTE exhaust, power commander, intake, ported head and cp piston and it makes the 700 into a GREAT cruiser. Very easy for anyone to ride to 8/10'ths. For 10/10ths all around thrashing I bring out the TRX.

osm

06-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Do ya want 2stoke like power shift all the time or big *** 4 stoke power shift if you feel like it.I got the 700 6,2 310 fits me perfect and hauls ***. full skid plates,shock covers,more to come.

06-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Get the Raptor 700