PDA

View Full Version : 400ex clutch replacement

m_daughty400ex
06-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Someone please help!!!
just replaced my clutches with barnett dirt digger kit, including frictions, steels, and springs. now my clutch will not disengage!! what could I have done wrong still have it apart with no oil in it just put the cover on to check everything and im getting nothing with the cable adjusted as tight as it goes it still is very easy to squeeze and does not disengage the clutches at all. Any advice greatly appreciated. post on here or email me at m_daugherty@netzero.net

Thanks,
Micah

JOEX
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Is the lifter arm and spring installed properly? I'd check into that...

honda460ex
06-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Not the brightest answer here from me, but did you atleast cover the fiber plates and all in oil before you installed them? I know you are supposed to let them sit in oil overnight by what barnett says. Me, I just soaked mine for a couple hours and threw them in. They work great.

ELewandowski
06-10-2006, 04:57 AM
you dont need to soak them overnight, barnett suggest 10-15 minutes prior to installation. And soak them in the same kind of oil you will be putting in the quad.

As long as you have everything lined up, it should work, there is not a lot of room for error here, the clutch will not move very much. Put the cover on with a few bolts and try rolling the quad pulling and letting go of the clutch to see if it works. My clutch, which is the same you just installed, does not pull very much at all.

m_daughty400ex
06-10-2006, 09:40 PM
well I did soak it in bel-ray semi-synthetic 15-40 same oil im going to run. but like I said i don't have oil in it right now because i still have it partially apart trying to figure out why it does not work. the lifter that goes in the center of the clutch basket will go all the way in and hit metal and will go all the way out and hit metal when pulling by hand without the side plate on and still the clutch is locked together and will not release at all you can't even move the rear wheels more than the normal slack. Im completely lost here and my dad has looked at it also (he has changed probably something like several hundred clutches in honda dirt bikes) and he has not been able to figure it out either. Im gonna go back and recount my stock frictions and steels tomorrow to see if by some chance maybe i got an extra plate or two in the barnett set by accident and didn't notice while i was putting them in. anything else ya'll can help with is greatly appreciated.