PDA

View Full Version : Case Question

EricB
08-12-2002, 08:04 PM
i posted a while back what happend to my bike, its been at the dealership for 4 weeks. anyhow, the output shaft had to much tension aparently (they are telling me i tightened the chain to tight....i've never touched it) and it made the output shaft grab the case and sping a circle out of it. anyhow i'm sick of not having my bike, and i'm sick of them seeing if they will be able to waranty it or not. i was looking on a site that had oem honda parts (not serivce honda) and the left case with seals was only 82 plus shipping. they quoted me 600 dollars! whats the deal here? am i missing something, is it more in depth than just replacing the part of the case and seals? obviously draining the engine, but other than that?

i just want to ride, i had to make the payment on my bike that i haven't been able to ride and almost killed someone hehe. im missing some of the best riding of the year...please help me.

eldoexrider01
08-12-2002, 08:22 PM
if ya got the money go get ur ride and put a new case on it. take it and fix it or find a friend that can give ya some help. im sure someone on here wit the engine knoledge can help ya also

BKex
08-12-2002, 08:26 PM
for 600$ i would just do it yourself. the dealers are just ripping people off, they wanted 200 to put a axel in my bike and its really just in hour job.

EricB
08-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Well does anyone have any idea what this entails? i really just want my bike back with out having to pay some god awful amount of money to do it. please assist me! hehe. so the case is 82 dollars i've got that down, new bearings prooly, what 20 dollars max? so i'm into it about 140ish with shipping i'm guessing.

EricB
08-13-2002, 10:18 AM
pleaes help if you know something.

oynot400
08-13-2002, 10:28 AM
I am sure that it is not an easy job to split the case. I would not be afraid to do it, then again you don't want to get over your head. Basket cases generally cost alot more in the long run. For $600 I would get a manual and do it yourself, surely you have someone that is mechainally handy that could help you? Are you sure you didn't take it to 5 seasons motorsports? It sounds like something they would pull. :mad:

EricB
08-13-2002, 10:39 PM
nope, medford power sports. i don't have anything against them as far as pricing, it was just one of the mechanics that quoted me off the top of his head.

any info though? or know where i could look?

oynot400
08-14-2002, 06:03 AM
I would not know what needs replaced with out tearing it apart. They may have an idea on what is wrong but they will not know for sure until it is apart also. It seems like there is always something that is over looked. You might want to check with other dealers or bike shops in your area.

dhines
08-14-2002, 06:19 AM
Splitting the cases on the 400ex is a doable job provided that you have the right tools (torque wrench, flywheel remover, etc.), a shop manual, and some mechanical ability. I would not try to break into it with only a socket wrench and a screw driver! If you feel up to the task, then give it a try. If you have never been inside an engine before though, it is a fairly complicated job - especially when you get to the bottom end and your juggling all of the gears and crap.

At the very least order the side case for that price and take it to the guys at the shop (if they won't cover it under warrantee). They will likely charge you over $200 for a new one.

Good luck,

Dennis

LiLMissHondaEx
08-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Last year I cracked my case from the chain being too loose (no case saver :eek: )....Calling mechanics to get quotes over the phone they would quote me a price of $100 or so to fix it, then when I took it in, they would say "oh I thought you were talking about this piece". I thought it could have been their way of trying to screw us, but this happened at 4 different shops. I guess there is a crankcase cover (the piece they were giving me a quote on at first) and then the crankcase itself. I would imagine it is the same on a 400 vs 300. I am wondering if the price you saw of $82 is for the correct case....and they in fact are not trying to rip you off. All said and done, new case, seals, chain, sprockets, labor, ect.....it was an $800 job. Man that hurt bad!!!

I hope you get your quad back soon!! I feel your pain!

UglyMotha™
08-14-2002, 11:27 AM
that's the way it goes when you work with the dealer and oem parts, most of the time labor adds up higher than the stupid parts do that's why i always do my own work and try to buy aftermarket parts for example i had a buddy that crashed his wolverine into a backhoe (long story) destroyed the front fenders rim and twisted the frame the a-arms were still fine amazinly new rim and tire and handlebars, and his total came to 2,850 how would you like to have that total i told him he shoulda kept it and bought a new one for that and sold his old one off for parts, but ya if you can try to do the work yourself or find help cause that's where almost all dealerships rape you is with the labor not the parts even though the parts are sky high

UglyMotha™
08-14-2002, 11:39 AM
actually if there quoting you 600 bucks that isn't bad, and there not replacing the cover there actually replacing the right half of the crankcase and it is a chore specally if you not experienced i've done it a couple times and you have to get everything lined up properly or else you'll case the motor and the part there replacing is actually 256 click here (http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=36&B=10) if you look in the picture you see that the output shaft bearing is actually in the crankcase not the cover because the cover isn't listed here

UglyMotha™
08-14-2002, 11:41 AM
and this is just part of the mess inside that case when you take it apart

UglyMotha™
08-14-2002, 11:42 AM
forgot the pic