PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness Help???

blubyyou
06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm in the process of building an 88 R from the frame up...I'm down to the wiring/ electrical parts now and I need some help. First, what year/ years wiring harness, CDI, and coils fit and interchange with each other. Can I use an 85/86 ATC wiring, CDI, and coil....or does it have to be all TRX. My frame is an 88 and the motor is an 88 (at least that's what the guy I bought it from said). Next, I plan to run no lights and do not need a key...just a kill switch/ tether cord, kick it over and go set up...so what can I eliminate? It would be nice if down the road I had the availability to hook up lights if I decided to( doubt that will happen though) so I'm not to worried about it now. I just need some help with what to buy and not buy....If anyone has these parts I'm open to buying them!!! I hope I'm not missing anything I needed to post to help with your opinions. Thanks in advance!!!!

stever250r
06-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I have a complete setup... exactly what you need.

Stator, CDI, Wiring Harness, Coil.

The coil is brand new... and everything is guaranteed to work. I had my quad running with it but have now decided to go with an aftermarket ignition.

The wiring harness is cut... to eliminate all but the necessary wires. I clipped the plugs and installed my own clips so you can still disconnect the stator from the main wiring harness if you need to.

Make me a good offer and I can have it shipped out to you by Monday.

blubyyou
06-09-2006, 06:36 PM
stever250r ...sent you a pm. Anyone else with an answer please post up. I would like to gain some knowledge as well with this build. It's my first 250R...I have been on banshee's before this...and it's been over 2 years since I've had a quad.

blubyyou
06-09-2006, 07:47 PM
ttt

blubyyou
06-10-2006, 05:14 PM
any one know what years fits what??? Please help???

deathman53
06-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I would use any year trx250r harness, 85/86 atc 250r stuff will work too, I have a cut harness for a 85 atc 250r, it is just the wires to the stator, coil wires, and kill swtich. it was cut off and is about 6" long, it worked on my atc250r, I'm not sure about if it will work on a trx250r. it uses a 85 cdi too.

stever250r
06-11-2006, 03:03 AM
The parts microfiche shows a diffferent part number for every year the TRX was produced...86-87-88-89. I imagine any harness would work with any year.... the only difference being the design of the plugs/connctors.

There are two part numbers for the CDI boxes.. one for 86-87 and the other for 88-89. Either box will work with any year, I THINK the only difference is the gig output. I also thought I once read somewhere that the 88-89 CDI box had the better power curve.

So.. all of the electrical components can be interchanged.
If you get all matching year components no mods will be necessary.
If you intermix components... they will work but you will more than likely have to cut the harness and install your own plugs.

If your only concern is spark... you can eliminate most of the wiring harness.You will only need to connect the 4 wires coming from the stator to the harness, the harness plug to the CDI box, the harnes ground(green wire), to the frame and the two wires to the coil.
If you run a kill tether... one wire on the tether will connect to the + side of the coil the other to ground.

You can go to servicedhonda.com and look at all the parts diagrams if this will help. I would also invest in a Clymer manual. It explains most everything with detailed information and illustrations. Dont try the build without it.