PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem at low RPMs

Iliketogofast
06-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Okay, to help you guys diagnose the problem I'm gonna put everything it has done since I got it back together.

While I was putting the motor back together, I forgot to tighten the nuts that hold the dome on. When I filled the radiator with water (water only) it started pouring out. So I took the plug back out, tightened those screws and kicked it over. No water came out. I got it together, rode it and it was fine (except it was too lean)

It was bogging the first time I rode it and fouled the plug, but when I put the airbox lid on, it ran fine. The plugs were a nice tan color. Perfect.

So I went and got a 150 mainjet so I could leave the lid off (up from a 145) and it still ran like a dream, tan plugs. I put it up that night and got a new plug for it because the other one had been fouled but I scratched it off and widened the gap so I could ride home on it from that first ride, or else I woulda been stuck.

So I put the new plug in last night and it sat. When I started it this morning it was behaving very funny. It would not stay on, and when I rev it up with the clutch in it revs dangerously high and sticks, even if I turn the killswitch off it won't stop until I let go of the clutch. It will run well while it's moving, but when I let of the gas to coast it will want to pull forward every now and then. It seems to me like the idle is messed up, but the idle adjustment barely affects it. I can turn it all the way up and all the way down with very minimal changes in idle speed (it idles at about 3 grand, which it never used to. Yesterday it was idling very normally.)

When I put the new plug in I did NOT mess with the idle settings. This seems like a tranny problem to me, but it doesn't slip on the way up. So can all of this be caused by a different plug? (It is a Denso that the Autozone guy gave me. I usually use NGK BR8ES, but he gave me this and they look identical.

A very important detail I forgot to add is that the plug when I pulled it out was a light, light tan. It wasn't glazed, but it had a metallic look if you look at it from an angle which I assumed was the metal shining through. It's lighter than any plug I've seen, and there is no black on it. Usually on one side of the white (I think it's called the insulator - the little white part the electrode nipple comes out of) there will be black and the other side of it is tan, along with the actual electrode and the arm part that goes over. This one has no black, just the light tan and where there would be black it is white.

TheFontMaster
06-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I really don't know how to solve your problem, but for your spark plug run a br9es, or I have had even better luck with the br9yea plugs.

Iliketogofast
06-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Lol... Thanks. I've always ran BR8ES - What does the "YEA" stand for?

Okay, so I got the main problem fixed. Now, what would cause it to hesitate right at the beginning of 3rd gear and up? Just at the beginning, when I very first nail it after dropping the clutch.

TheFontMaster
06-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Lol... Thanks. I've always ran BR8ES - What does the "YEA" stand for?

Okay, so I got the main problem fixed. Now, what would cause it to hesitate right at the beginning of 3rd gear and up? Just at the beginning, when I very first nail it after dropping the clutch.

I'm not shure what the YEA stands for, but I do belive that the difference between ES, and YEA is the YEA has a slightly differnt tip.

As for the heasitation, it sounds like your jetting is still just a little off. I would turn out your air/fuel screw a little and see where that gets you.

Iliketogofast
06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
That did it. Thanks bud ;)