PDA

View Full Version : Need 416EX to become stroked

hydromatikman
06-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm in the process of my pocket book convincing me that I can't afford a new 450R. My current quad is a '00 416ex w/ 10.8:1 wiseco, stage 2 hot cam, white bros e series slip-on,gearing is 14/38. I do race this once in a while just for fun in the desert but it's mostly a trail quad. I aslo spend quite a bit of time at the dunes and would like more kick.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a stroker kit installed in my current set-up and would like some input from you fine folks as far as reliability and wisdom of this.

I like the quick revving of the 416 and really don't want to go a whole lot bigger bore. I'm looking I think for more torque than anything. Reliability is really my biggest concern. I ride a ton and have thouroughly enjoyed how well this machine has held up.

I'm also thinking about porting the head and installing a 450r carb along with the motor work. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

NacsMXer
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Powroll or GT Thunder will be your best two options as far as quality and reliability. Both utilize a 416 bore custom stroker piston. The Powroll has a +4mm stroke on the crank to yield about 440 cc's. I have the GT Thunder kit which uses a +7mm stroke to yield 452 cc's. I have run this kit for about 2 years now without a single issue, it is no different from a stock 400EX. Just your standard oil changes and valve adjustments along with the other maintainence norms. If you rode a machine with either of these kits you would know right away how crazy fast they are, it is very difficult to describe over the internet :p Just very smooth, fast linear acceleration and power production.

You can't go wrong either way, both can hook you up with porting, cams, and advice to put together an awesome motor combination

www.powroll.com
www.gtthunder.com

GPracer2500
06-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I have essentially the same bike as you and mostly ride dunes. I have to beat my poor little 416 to death and it still falls short.

If your considering a stroker, porting, a carb, etc. then have you worked out what that will cost + what your quad is currently worth? I'm guessing you'd be right there or at least pretty close to a used YFZ or 450r.

That's basically the route I've decided to go (sell 400EX + some extra money and get a used 450).

I'm sure if I stroked my 400EX and did some other things than it would make a good quad even better. But, over the next few years I just don't see my 400EX ever quite meeting my expectations for reliable power. I want 45+ HP without having to burn race gas. I don't see my 400EX dong that for less money than it would take to get a 450.

All of the above discounts any desire to have a super fast 400EX. If I really loved my 400EX and liked the idea of building a 400EX to near it's limits, than going the stroker route gains some weight. But I want the 450...

Wheelie
06-09-2006, 08:30 PM
NacsMxer summed it up pretty well.

Stroke it, you won't regret it. If you're concern about the engine not revving as fast as your 416 when it's done, throw that idea out the window. My 440 revs like a mofo, endless power from bottom to top.

FYI--Powrolls kit doesn't require any mods to the trans or counterbalancer. Thier quality of work and customer service are top notch.

If you stroke it, get a HD rod, it's a few extra $$, but it will also give you piece of mind that the crankcase won't ventilate itself in the future.