PDA

View Full Version : It won't light, and when it does, it burns out!

jc_sportrax
08-12-2002, 06:37 PM
I am working on a 200 300EX for a friend of mine. The thing won't start at all with the choke on, and when you turn the choke compleatley off, you have to hold the gas about 1/2 way open in order to start it. It won't idle at all, and it runs like crap and blows out white smoke. it misses real bad, except when you hit it wide open while riding it, then it will run like a bat outta ****! I put in a new spark plug, cleaned the carb and set evriething to the factory specs, and it still does it! I took the plug back out after I ran it for a few miniutes, and it was wet, like a black-looking liquid. I don't think it's flooding, there is no gas comming out of the carb overflow tube. Please help.

Thanks
Jc_Sportrax
--------------------------------------
2002 Honda Sportrax 300EX- Stock, for now.:devil
1984 Honda Odyssey FL250
1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse-Built out the @$$:D :D :D :

ride300exred
08-12-2002, 07:13 PM
If so you have bad rings , cam , valve guides , valve seals or something else

eldoexrider01
08-12-2002, 08:31 PM
i would have a atv mechanic check it out to see if it is in time and everything is sound (right) and im not talkin bout no dang honda dealership mechanic :o

jc_sportrax
08-13-2002, 07:14 AM
Yes, I am sure that it is white smoke. My 2002 300EX flooded out one time on me and it blew out a little white smoke, so I am assumeing that it is somehow getting to much fuel. Another thing I forgot to mention, if you turn off the gas at the tank, right before it runs out it will start running the way it is supposed to, and then it dies. I checked the clip position on the neddle, it is in the middle just like it is supposed to be, and the air-fuel screw is set at 2 1/4 turns out, thats what the dealer told me to set it on. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It is a 2000 300EX- the compression is still VERRY good.

300exryder
08-13-2002, 09:22 AM
I know you said that you cleaned the carb but did you check to make sure the jets didnt unscrew and are loose in there??

Rastus
08-13-2002, 09:42 AM
maybe your float is messed up :confused:

Its a gas issue, cause it will run fine when you do certain things.
Sounds like its getting too much gas somehow.

jc_sportrax
08-14-2002, 07:25 AM
I am sure that the jets are tight, I doubble checked that. If it is a gas problem, then it would almost have to be the floats, but if they were stuck open, would'nt gas be comming out of the overflow tube??? and if it is float related, what do I need to replace??? I hope it is'nt expensive:( :(

Please give more help, thanks.:confused:

jc_sportrax
08-14-2002, 05:05 PM
Someone please help! I'm begging ya. Pretty please?:(