PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off on Ebay....

derekhonda
06-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, to make a short story shorter...I bought an Amp off ebay. 310$ Anyways, he shipped it, it got here, it doesn't work. How should I go about getting my money back. I paid with paypal, should I contact them or do they only help if you never recieve your item?

:(

baseballplaya23
06-08-2006, 03:04 PM
What did the auction state? might not be able to do anything depending on what the description said.

400exrules
06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
paypal handles that, talk to them

once you file a claim he will have 30 days to give you your money, and then if he doesnt, paypal will ban his account, and they (paypal) will give you your money, but only up to $200 i think

baseballplaya23
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Ya they will only refund up to 200 of it and that doesnt include shipping.

Hondaracing819
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
If you paid with a credit card you can refuse to pay for the item...
Trust me it works, your will prob have one on your door step 2 weeks after

06-08-2006, 05:53 PM
my girlfriend works for ebay, you might end up dealing with her. probly not.

she tells me storys like this all the time... i think the bottom line is ebay didnt sell you anything, they connect you toa buyer therfor they are not responsible, they did not cliam the speaker worked.

i'd say it is between you and that guy.

just tell him it is to HIS benfit to give you your money back, if you get what i mean.

<DRS>GPF
06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
did you say anything to him?

what exact manufacturer and model is it?

did you connect it correctly?
many high wattage amps have a "sync" connection that must be connected to a B+ voltage(usually via a manual toggle or through a matching receiver). they do this so the amp isnt constantly powered at low wattage output..

derekhonda
06-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I took it to Ovation today, it isn't anything on my end. He just sold me a dead amp. No, I have not contacted him yet, but will be shortly.

DieselBoy
06-08-2006, 09:20 PM
One very reason I NEVER buy over the internet/ebay. I've heard of too many horror stories with items that are duds.

If no warrenty was expressed, he said as is in the ad, you're out of luck

Atleast in person I can say yay or nay.

06-09-2006, 12:08 AM
alot of stuff on ebay are "hot" so many people steal and then place it on ebay... or even some guy from florida said a quad belonged to Lennny Harris a former MLB star and he got an extra 2000 prolly for the atv he got 7900 for a 660 Raptor that was a year old..

crday98
06-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy

it doesn't matter if there a warranty or not, if it was listed as a working amp then he should have received a working amp period. if it never worked from the start then he misrepresented the item in the listing and should be held accountable and is in the wrong!

derekhonda
06-09-2006, 08:00 AM
One very reason I NEVER buy over the internet/ebay. I've heard of too many horror stories with items that are duds.

Atleast in person I can say yay or nay.

Well, not to get into legal terms, but nothing you can say will get rid of an express waranty. As is only gets rid of merchantability and fitness for particular purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-500-1-MONOBLOCK-AMP-Mono-Amplifier-500W_W0QQitemZ9729040188QQcategoryZ79827QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the ad. He never guaranteed anything, but he did make an express warranty "like new" amp.

06-09-2006, 08:16 AM
"Like new" doesn't define it as functioning properly. Always email sellers and ask specifically if there is anything wrong with an item and if it works properly.

He's sold/bought alot of stuff on ebay, give him an opportunity to make it right. You mentioned you haven't even contacted him yet, you should have done that before you posted on here!!

derekhonda
06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
A "like new" amp should perform like a new amp.

I sent him a message, he sent me one back and said hed take it back but Iam still gonna lose about 40$ in shipping plus two sets of paypal fees. Man this sucks....

crday98
06-09-2006, 03:38 PM
if it didn't work from the start, then you should demand that he cover all the shipping charges. at the very least, he should cover half of them. you shouldn't have any paypal fees if he sends you a refund.
remember, the item was not as described in the listing. this was not your fault, it was the sellers. there is no reason that you should be out a single cent because of the sellers negligence. the typical problem with ebay! nobody owns up to their mistakes and people are too damn soft or lazy to stand up for themselves when stuff like this happens.:ermm:

DieselBoy
06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Well atleast he's taking it back and refunding your money. Cut your losses and move on.

coolex
06-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Well atleast he's taking it back and refunding your money. Cut your losses and move on.

isnt it count your losses lol

u bouhgt it without even asking the obvious question "does it work"

Glamis400ex
06-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I think I'm dealing with this right now. I bought a set of new Applied bars and the guy won't respond to my emails and it's been over 2 weeks. I have his name and city he lives in from the Ebay ad so I found his number online. I called and got his dad. I told him what was up and he would see that he talked to his son. He took my number.

I told him I'd be filing a complaint with my credit card company and stopping payment immediately. He got the point.

We'll see what happens.

06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
paypal handles that, talk to them

once you file a claim he will have 30 days to give you your money, and then if he doesnt, paypal will ban his account, and they (paypal) will give you your money, but only up to $200 i think loool... no they dont because then you could just say it didnt work if you or whatever and screw things up. you have to talk to the person directly, then if they refuse goto ebay and paypal

crday98
06-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Well atleast he's taking it back and refunding your money. Cut your losses and move on. he should refund his money IN FULL, not only the cost of the item. why should he eat the cost of shipping for something that wasn't his fault? get real!:rolleyes:

DieselBoy
06-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by crday98
he should refund his money IN FULL, not only the cost of the item. why should he eat the cost of shipping for something that wasn't his fault? get real!:rolleyes:

Because that's how life goes. Life isn't fair.

insaneracin2003
06-10-2006, 07:39 AM
he should refund his money IN FULL, not only the cost of the item. why should he eat the cost of shipping for something that wasn't his fault? get real!:rolleyes:
I completely agree,it wasnt derekhondas fault he bought an amp in like new condition and it didnt work.then make him have to lose money on the deal.that is bullchit.the man should pay ALL costs.

insaneracin2003
06-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Because that's how life goes. Life isn't fair.
it isnt about life being fair,it is about a person false advertising and making a profit. i know i would be getting some kind of money out the deal.

NorCalRacer
06-10-2006, 09:09 AM
I sell stuff on ebay all the time. My sister had me sell a flute of hers to help with her college tuition. I listed it with free shipping to bring the price up and when it sold covered insured shipping myself. When the guy received it it wasn't "exactly" what he wanted and though I could have taken better pics:confused: It was an accurate listing... Anyways, I refunded him his money back and paid for shipping both ways. It was not my fault yet I did what is fair (to the other guy, not me, life is not fair for everyone all the time).
I believe you should get every cent of your money back, especially with a truly in-accurate listing.:D

crday98
06-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Because that's how life goes. Life isn't fair. i could see you are the type of person i was talking about. no balls to stand up for yourself.:rolleyes:
people like you are the reason so many people get away with ripping people off. you just bend over and take instead of taking action against those who scam you. of course they are going to continue to do it if you let them get away with it.:rolleyes:

06-10-2006, 10:17 AM
i could see you are the type of person i was talking about. no balls to stand up for yourself.:rolleyes:
people like you are the reason so many people get away with ripping people off. you just bend over and take instead of taking action against those who scam you. of course they are going to continue to do it if you let them get away with it.:rolleyes: there ya go

Lolli2
06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm a little lost with all the posts, but did you contact the seller? Also, could it be a shipping issue? Was the unit dropped? Give the seller a chance to make it right. If he doesn't then contact Paypal. I've been through this before. You will only get your money back if the seller has the money in their paypal account also. I've had paypal find in favor of me and never got my money back because the seller didn't have the money in their account.