PDA

View Full Version : How should i brake in my 406 rebuild

exrider008
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
i just rebuilt my engine and i dont know how i should brake it in.some people say to beat it and others say to be easy on it.
tell me how u brake ur engines in.
Thanks!

mudmann
06-08-2006, 02:22 PM
My dealer owner told me a general rule of thumb is to be easy with the revs and to not hold high rpms long. Don't go over half throttle. Maybe different for a bigger engine but thats just general.

400exrules
06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
i would go kinda easy on it for awhile, but dont baby it....it needs the pressure in their from you giving it gas, so that the rings can seat good.

so...dont putt around like your cruising the pits....but dont be haulin everywhere on the rev limiter

hotrodbelair
06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
when i broke my 440 in i rode it like i usually do except just dont hold rpms for too long.

DieselBoy
06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
reading all the threads on the guys breaking in their motors that ride it hard, but not to the point where your at 80% throttle, until your engines had a couple hours on it seems to be working quite well. The better you can make the rings seal, the better.

Motoman has a page devoted to engine break ins.

It's called Break in secrets, it might be worth a look!

Wheelie
06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I broke mine in like I usually ride it. Personally I like to vary RPMS, ocassionally rev the engine, and lay into the throttle for short bursts.

Also, I rode it for 15 minutes, let it completely cool, rode it for 20 minutes, then changed the oil and oil filter (if the cam is new, also adjust the valves) Just a thought, thoroughly inspect the oil filter on the first oil change. Look for anything unusual: excessive metal shavings, etc.

DieselBoy
06-08-2006, 09:02 PM
one very important thing to remember is LET THE ENGINE WARM UP prior to any breaking in. Also, never free-rev the engine, the engine must be under load when you are revving. never progress in the same throttle position for any period of time, and let it decel itself, this apparently helps to get rid of any shavings in the engine. Good luck!