PDA

View Full Version : thinking about one

Tri-valleyracin
06-08-2006, 01:19 PM
well im goin to be 16 june 30th and i have a 300ex right now and i want some thing bigger but i have to pay for half or 1/4 of what the cost of a quad would be. i cant sell my 300ex cuse i have a younger sister and brother that can ride it. i want to get a quadracer 450 but i need to buy a used one and this wount be until like the winter or fall. i was wondering if u guys think that a quadracer would be good or should i get a 450r. i plain on racing it like i race my 300ex (MX). im a big kid at 250 and 6'1" what would be the best choice for me.

rollie
06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
im making that descion too, the way i see it i can save like $4000 on a-arms and suspension and waste it on my 110:D sounds good to me

Tri-valleyracin
06-08-2006, 02:32 PM
that 110 would be sick lol. ya i thought ur dad likes honda nothing else.

rollie
06-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Tri-valleyracin
that 110 would be sick lol. ya i thought ur dad likes honda nothing else.

haha nah honda and suzuki for him, he had a suzuki street bike for 21 years and had good luck with it, he just doesnt want me on a yamaha:devil:

Tri-valleyracin
06-08-2006, 06:19 PM
ya same here i dont like yamahahahaha.i rather be on a suzuki or a kawi but ill take a honda.

tfs411
06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
From the factory the honda is a trail bike. The YFZ isn't set up real well either. I've ridden them all and I bought the suzuki. I'm very happy with my purchase.

krt400ex
06-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Buy the 450r. They're more reliable and are a little taller so you would be more comfortable on it. The 450r also has loads more bottom end than the ltr and bottom is the best thing for a mx track.

ATV Father
06-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
Buy the 450r. They're more reliable...

Yea right, Just because it is a honda :rolleyes:

ATV Father
06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Tri-valleyracin
well im goin to be 16 june 30th and i have a 300ex right now and i want some thing bigger but i have to pay for half or 1/4 of what the cost of a quad would be. i cant sell my 300ex cuse i have a younger sister and brother that can ride it. i want to get a quadracer 450 but i need to buy a used one and this wount be until like the winter or fall. i was wondering if u guys think that a quadracer would be good or should i get a 450r. i plain on racing it like i race my 300ex (MX). im a big kid at 250 and 6'1" what would be the best choice for me.

LT-R450 should be your choice unless you like spending money on aftermarket goodies.

Baracudaaa
06-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Stock for stock, there is noooooooo way the Honder or Yamer hold up on the track to the LTR, absofreakinlootly not. Go to any track, watch for people on stockers, and see the difference for yourself. Once you dump about 3 or 4 grand into the hon or yam, then they become competitive.
For trails the same thing. I just ran an Enduro trail race and won 1st place in the quad division and I am a C class racer, at best! I beat ALL the A class riders on everything from a Gas Gas 300 2 stroke to worked over Hondas to race YFZs'. Not trying to start a war over who is best, but a young guy trying to be competetive off the show room floor without dumping all your $ into aftermarket parts, the LTR is the best bet.

krt400ex
06-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Baracudaaa
Stock for stock, there is noooooooo way the Honder or Yamer hold up on the track to the LTR, absofreakinlootly not. Go to any track, watch for people on stockers, and see the difference for yourself. Once you dump about 3 or 4 grand into the hon or yam, then they become competitive.
For trails the same thing. I just ran an Enduro trail race and won 1st place in the quad division and I am a C class racer, at best! I beat ALL the A class riders on everything from a Gas Gas 300 2 stroke to worked over Hondas to race YFZs'. Not trying to start a war over who is best, but a young guy trying to be competetive off the show room floor without dumping all your $ into aftermarket parts, the LTR is the best bet.

That's only because the ltr is so much wider. engine wise the honda or yamaha would beat it any day.

AceLtz
06-12-2006, 08:04 PM
The engines are so close it would matter, it would be the rider making up the difference. I like but my ltr alot but the suspension isnt $4000 parts so stop acting like it is. Its way better than the Honda or Yamaha but it doesnt take thousands to equal the ltr. Aftermarket suspension on the 450r or yfz would be better than the ltr. There hasent been any reliability issues for the ltr. The only one has been the rear linkage and suzuki has a recall for it, thier fixing the problem. If youve even ridden all 3 youd know how the engines are. Their all fast and one cant "smoke" another one.

djvolume
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
That's only because the ltr is so much wider. engine wise the honda or yamaha would beat it any day.

Totally stock -- yes.

I picked my LTR up this past week. I drove it around the yard - was dissapointed. No bottom end.
After you take the airbox lid off/pea shooter out/cherry bomb -- WHOLE different machine.

06-13-2006, 05:52 AM

The ltr "rmz" motor is just as good if not better than yamahas and hondas engines.... And they are fuel injected..

400exrider707
06-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ATV Father
Yea right, Just because it is a honda :rolleyes:

Yeah that is right. Last I knew Honda used to build all of their machines with tighter tolerances than the other manufacturers. This is why people always say buy a honda for reliability. Im sure know they are probably all built with the same tolerances but up until a few years ago honda used tighter ones. If you dont believe me, Ill get the issue of motocross mag that they stated this in. Like I said though Im sure now most manufacturers use a lot tighter tolerances than they used to.

Also to get back on subject, I have not rode an LTR personally but I would love to try one. Although the turnout at the local tracks has not been good for the LTR's, and the few that do showup, must have the worst riders in the district because Im pretty sure they were dead end of the pack.

frickle400ex
06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
dirt wheels had the article on the 450's some of you might of saw it..they rated Ltr 450 the best all around race quad..that not my opinion its just what i read but i would get the 450r honda bc theyve ben around more and people have used ones you can get cheap and everyone has em so ...this ones up to you there bud.

krt400ex
06-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by frickle400ex
dirt wheels had the article on the 450's some of you might of saw it..they rated Ltr 450 the best all around race quad..that not my opinion its just what i read but i would get the 450r honda bc theyve ben around more and people have used ones you can get cheap and everyone has em so ...this ones up to you there bud.

yes and if you read the shootout, then you know that the engines on the 450r and yfz450 are better than the ltr. with a set of a-arms and an axle, the yfz or 450r would be better.

krt400ex
06-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by kraz
The ltr "rmz" motor is just as good if not better than yamahas and hondas engines.... And they are fuel injected..

fuel injection doesn't mean a thing if the engine isn't as powerful. the ltr doesn't have as much bottom as the 450r or yfz in stock vs stock comparison.

Speed_MDS2
06-15-2006, 04:58 AM
These reviews are based on STOCK quads. When you open the motors up(intake and exhaust) you will find that the ltr's engine is more powerful, especially on the top end. Has anyone seen pics of the ltr's head? The intake and exhaust ports are very well designed. This motors got plenty of potential. And if bottom end is so important than how in gods name did the 250r ever get around a motocross track?

krt400ex
06-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2
These reviews are based on STOCK quads. When you open the motors up(intake and exhaust) you will find that the ltr's engine is more powerful, especially on the top end. Has anyone seen pics of the ltr's head? The intake and exhaust ports are very well designed. This motors got plenty of potential. And if bottom end is so important than how in gods name did the 250r ever get around a motocross track?

That's all I was trying to say. stock vs. stock the honda and yamahas are faster. oh ya, did you ever hear of slipping the clutch to keep the revs up?

Speed_MDS2
06-15-2006, 09:22 AM
That's all I was trying to say. stock vs. stock the honda and yamahas are faster. oh ya, did you ever hear of slipping the clutch to keep the revs up?

Yes i've heard of slipping the clutch, thats my point. Others where saying you need bottom end power for motocross but thats not true. It certainly doesn't hurt to have bottom end power though. Whats important is that the quad is geared right for its powerband and the LTR is geared right. Who cares how fast these quads are stock anyways? I don't see many quads running around stock, do you?

krt400ex
06-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2
Yes i've heard of slipping the clutch, thats my point. Others where saying you need bottom end power for motocross but thats not true. It certainly doesn't hurt to have bottom end power though. Whats important is that the quad is geared right for its powerband and the LTR is geared right. Who cares how fast these quads are stock anyways? I don't see many quads running around stock, do you?

ya got a point, but more torque puts power to the ground instead of converting it to wheel spin. you really have to be touchy with the clutch to keep the wheels from spinning. It's easier to forget the clutch and let the machine do the work. Thats why good bottom and an even power spread are good for racing. all you need to do is use 1 or 2 gears out of the tranny and let the bike do the rest. less work means less fatigue. and less fatigue means faster lap times.

250r4life
06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by frickle400ex

dirt wheels is gay... when ya'll gunna learn that CASH is king...

dirt wheels also said the 400ex was guranteed to be faster than the 250r... yah- and im the pope...

tfs411
06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
how is the engine...well with a 450 dollar exhaust and a 40 dollar plugin it makes over 50 horsepower...not bad IMO
I read a shootout where the LTR won EVERy catagory except the engine, because it didn't "feel" as fast. The power delivery was "too linear" haha okay.

slvrlakerdr08
06-15-2006, 07:58 PM
yea i'd say buy a used 450r, i got mine cheap at 4000 ridden only 5x's, so you could find some good deals out there with people just wanting to sell them.