PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshoot 400 EX broken oil filter bolt

BADODR
06-08-2006, 08:45 AM
I bought a used 2002 400EX and within the last two months have become a fanatically enthusiastic rider. I've just joined the group today, but have enjoyed and appreciated the special knowledge experienced owners/riders have shared with us novices on these web pages.

I just broke the longer of the two oil filter cover bolts. It snapped in the threaded section about 2.5" in. I don't know of any long "easy outs" or even longer drill bits to start one of that small of diameter (about the metric equivalent of 3/16s). I can't afford an expensive and time consuming shop repair at this time. Unless someone can suggest a solution for a novice mechanic like me, I may have to hang up my wheels until I hit the lotto.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

NorCalRacer
06-08-2006, 09:10 AM
I am not familiar with your bike but maybe you can drill ant tap a bigger hole for a stronger bolt. If you don't have a tap and die set you can buy individuals at the parts store. I am saying ignore the threaded part and thread shallower, maybe an inch deep. I don't know if this is a good idea, don't know your bike, but I hope it helps

derekhonda
06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BADODR
I bought a used 2002 400EX and within the last two months have become a fanatically enthusiastic rider. I've just joined the group today, but have enjoyed and appreciated the special knowledge experienced owners/riders have shared with us novices on these web pages.

I just broke the longer of the two oil filter cover bolts. It snapped in the threaded section about 2.5" in. I don't know of any long "easy outs" or even longer drill bits to start one of that small of diameter (about the metric equivalent of 3/16s). I can't afford an expensive and time consuming shop repair at this time. Unless someone can suggest a solution for a novice mechanic like me, I may have to hang up my wheels until I hit the lotto.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ive had the happen on more than one ocassion. Lots of friends have too. Go to take out your other bolt (the shorter one...they are the same thread pattern) and go up to napa and tell them you need a heli coil set to match this bolt. Drill out the remaining bolt in the case (easy out works best) then follow the instructions on the heli coil set, and order a new bolt and you are back in business.

1fst400
06-08-2006, 09:47 AM
You will need to take your clutch cover off....

YOu will need a new gasket, and thats it. once you get the cover pulled off there should be enough of the bolt showing that you can just put a pair of vice grips on it.

To take the clutch cover off,

1-tip the bike up on its left side, ( keep oil on the other side of the motor)
2- take the clutch cable off
3- Take the brake lever off ( I can do it with it on but its easier with it off)
4- take out all the 8mm bolts that are on that cover.
5-take the clutch linkage that it is showing and push it twards the rear of the machine ( like disingaging it all the way) Not hard, just push it back)
6- pull the cover off

Its easy.

bigbadbrad
06-08-2006, 10:34 AM
or you can try a left hand drill bit, make sure the drill is in reverse when you use it, If you get lucky it will catch and unscrew the bolt with it. OR like some one else said use a heli-coil, and put some grease on the drill bit and tap so it catches the metal fillings and they dont go into your motor

ELewandowski
06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
You will need to take your clutch cover off....

YOu will need a new gasket, and thats it. once you get the cover pulled off there should be enough of the bolt showing that you can just put a pair of vice grips on it.

To take the clutch cover off,

1-tip the bike up on its left side, ( keep oil on the other side of the motor)
2- take the clutch cable off
3- Take the brake lever off ( I can do it with it on but its easier with it off)
4- take out all the 8mm bolts that are on that cover.
5-take the clutch linkage that it is showing and push it twards the rear of the machine ( like disingaging it all the way) Not hard, just push it back)
6- pull the cover off

Its easy.
This is what i would try, if the easy out drill bits dont work. The clutch cover is pretty easy to take off and re-install. Remember when putting this stuff back together, that all the bolts snap easy and its very easy to strip things on the quad, so dont over-torque.

BADODR
06-09-2006, 03:09 AM
If you've ever noticed, when you put crabs in the bottem of a bucket, when one tries to crawl up the side to get out, the others will reach up and pull him back down...

The strength of this country is not our industrial, financial, or military power, but we will stand on each other's shoulders to get out, and when someone finally does, he'll reach back down to pull the others out.

Yesterday, I felt like I was in the bottom of that bucket. Nearly instantly, a number of kind folks from all over reached down to give me a hand. I am enormously grateful to those that took the time to write and provide me with valuable suggestions for a solution.

Thanks to all of you.

ELewandowski
06-09-2006, 04:03 AM
Where in MI do you ride?

Architects
06-09-2006, 07:06 AM
The same thing justhappened to me on my 450r. Snapped the longer of the 2 bolts. Didnt have time to mess with it so I let the dealer handle it

BADODR
06-09-2006, 07:19 AM
I think they cast the bolts from steel salvaged from the Titanic.