PDA

View Full Version : chain help!!!!!

dober250R
06-08-2006, 05:49 AM
I miss-counted the links on my new chain for my 250R, is this ok to run it 1 link short? Or can I press the pin back through and then run it?

gbcap
06-08-2006, 06:17 AM
if you can get it connected then you should be fine...then it wouldn't be one link short right? not sure what your asking other then that.

dober250R
06-08-2006, 06:18 AM
correct, if i can press the pin back through, and take the next one out, it wouldn't be 1 short. I just didn't know if you could press it back through the hole and have it stay. The pins are a press fit, and i didn't know if it screws them up if you press them out.

-copyguy-
06-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I did the same thing yesterday...I had to grind just the slightest bit off the pin ends to get them started back in. Then I tapped the link back together with a punch and hammer. Finally, I took a nail set and drove it into the center of the pins to get them to spread out...

I bought a chain repair kit for $4 just in case it comes apart on a trail though...it has a half link in it that will give me enough to get the chain back together...

I guess it comes down to this...do you feel lucky and/or skilled enough to get it back together and not have it come apart...

The only reasons I did it are that I wanted to ride yesterday and I have a good aftermarket case saver as well as the stock "cage" on the front sprocket.

dober250R
06-08-2006, 09:36 AM
yeah, I feel capable enough to do that. I have a race tomorrow so I don't have time to monkey with all of that tonight. I'm just going to put my old chain and sprockets back on for tomorrow's race, and fix my chain and sprocket set up this weekend.

JW450R1
06-10-2006, 06:57 AM
yeah just make sure your chain adjustment is all the way forward too.so u get the max out of your adjustments