PDA

View Full Version : atva new ruling on atv for under age 16

juanki
06-07-2006, 07:17 PM
just red this, i think its a good step for atv people,

porbably this means a new class for 07

http://www.atvaonline.com/News/06/cpsc.asp

06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
What's next? We're going to have a license to ride quads, just like motorcycles. I can bet money on that, if it goes the same way it's been going.

06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
All that stuff is ****ing stupid, if people ant got the skill to drive ATVs they shouldn’t drive them at all. It’s the people that hope on quads that has to much power for there skill and get hurt on them. That why we look bad and have stupid stuff like this to deal with.

06-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
What's next? We're going to have a license to ride quads, just like motorcycles. I can bet money on that, if it goes the same way it's been going.
I think this is going to be next

burrows
06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
This so crazy. My 14 yr old has a 300ex and a 400ex. He rides them in different series, he then rides his brothers honda 450r in a different organization. He has some of the best teachers that ride pro in the GNCC and knows his limits. I think it should be up to the parents as to what their child is capable of doing on an ATV. Let us decide. If they change this rule my 14 yr old will not be able to ride the Iowa series nor the Missouri series cause of his age. I guess these people that make the law would rather see our young kids on the streets getting into trouble than doing what they love doing and making this a family event. My .02 worth....mommab

YFZ450Ridr
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
it shouldnt be about age. it should be about size, maturity, and rider ability. the problem is that most parents that buy thier kid a quad dont even ride so they have no idea. thats how most people get hurt. or a guy that is 15 or 16 and saves up some money and buys a 400ex and has no flipping idea how to ride, thats where the bad rep comes from.

i got a 250ex when i was 13 then a z400 when i was 15 but never got hurt because i know my limits and know how to ride right.

DJJ450r
06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by burrows
This so crazy. My 14 yr old has a 300ex and a 400ex. He rides them in different series, he then rides his brothers honda 450r in a different organization. He has some of the best teachers that ride pro in the GNCC and knows his limits. I think it should be up to the parents as to what their child is capable of doing on an ATV. Let us decide. If they change this rule my 14 yr old will not be able to ride the Iowa series nor the Missouri series cause of his age. I guess these people that make the law would rather see our young kids on the streets getting into trouble than doing what they love doing and making this a family event. My .02 worth....mommab I agree 110%

06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I love all these new rules... seriously lets face the facts... Everyone here hates the rules if you are under 16 and own a quad but lets be serious, if a 14 year old kid was on a 660 raptor and hit either my YFZ or my 400ex I would not care about age difference or how much older I am I would get off my atv and knock the snot out of him and so would alot of other people, these are 4,000 to 6,000 dollar machines I dont want some underaged kid who has no idea how to handle a 75-80 MPH atv down a straight stretch... I actually help out in a safety course that Pro Cycle a dealer in Missouri runs and I help teach some safety on jumping and landing atvs and I have seen 13 year olds on 450R's and my most memorable moment there was when a 12 year old came up there and he had a Predator 500, and I was just shocked when I asked this kid why he owned a atv that was way too big for him he told me "my freinds all have 400's so I want to beat them so I got a 500".. :scary: you guys dont realize what this sport has gotten into... a my engine is bigger then yours, mine goes faster then yours in a straight line and half the people who are worried about that stuff are underaged, I would love to see nothing more then just a liscened atv law where all atv's must be liscenced to the registered rider, and when a under 16 year old is pulled over or in an accident or in trouble the atv gets impounded.. I know there are many people who will disagree with me and exspecially the guy who said his son races the Missouri and Iowa races who is 14 and races a 450R I think it was burrows or someone.. My thought to you is ... WHY??? your son has not one bit of reason to be on a 450cc atv with that type of power, I dont care if he is good in your prespective, his body is not fully matured and one tip of the quad or a wreck can have him paralyzed and I dont know about you but I certainly would not want my son to be paralyzed and being helpless the rest of his life all becuase of just 2 more years and he could have legally raced... And to your question of let parents choose what kids ride.. there are parents who give there kids drugs and alcohol and all kind of illegal stuff do you think that parent cares if there kid goes and hops on a 75 MPH atv?? lets be honest if we let any kid on any atv he wanted to be on as long as there parents were ok with it, there would be twice the wrecks, and the kids safety would not be as good as if he was 16 and could learn to drive... if you want parents to rule if kids can drive quads like u said lets have parents decide if there kid can inject heroine, or snort crack, and get drunk every night, and smoke dop, your comment was stupid and irresponsible as a parent you should want your kid to be as safe as possible... parents dont even see there kid do half the stuff they do on atv's, when you know all they do and what kind of stupid stunts a 14 year old tries u should probably start with a smaller quad... and go bigger as they age older..:ermm:

Punk'd
06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Under 16 on small quads.. ROFL

I got my 450r when I was late 14's early 15's..

06-07-2006, 09:45 PM

It was the easiest way for your parents to kill you.... :chinese:

DJJ450r
06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I can see your point about the kid with the 500. Me and Burrows are not like that. We are experienced racers and I am bigger than most adults, 6' 180 lbs. I got a 450r and started racing at 14. Now I'm 15 and kickin butt on my 450r 75mph quad. I know my limits and don't push them. I have more sense on my bike than most the guys I race with. And about the drugs, racing gives me something to focus on over the weekends, I could be out smoking and drinking but I'm not I'm in my backyard practicing or in my garage working on my bike. I race the B class in MHSC and am currently winning in points. Next year I will be racing A class and then Pro at 17. I don't think I would be as fast as I am now or as experienced if I was racing a blaster or 90. Goodnight

trx400exxracer
06-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd

I got my 450r when I was late 14's early 15's..

yeah I am fixin to get a 450er
i know i am only 15 but I know my limits and my dad knows my limits he tells me before every race dont race over your head and I dont cause I know what he is tlking about i dont want to hurt myself at this young age and havent got hurt so far and thats because I ride safe and dont ride over my head and i know my limitations

i cant believe all my friends want to do is go riding wide open on a dirt rode and see whoose is faster thats all they care about I leave that alone and when they come up to me and say ohh my quad is faster than yours I wanna race you i give them directions and info when we are going to have a xc race none have showed yet

but i dont understand why they care whos quad i the fastest thats all they care about whatever happened to who is the fastest rider

Punk'd
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
i dont understand why they care whos quad i the fastest thats all they care about whatever happened to who is the fastest rider

Those are the guys who cant ride;)

400 SS EX
06-07-2006, 10:12 PM
11crash11 I am going to have to disagree with you on variety of your viewpoints. First of all how old are you/when did you start riding and on what? I have personally when riding quads since I was in 1st grade, started on a badger 80 , moved to a recon at 13 and a stock 400ex at 15. I feel that I was never undereducated or under-skilled for the quad that I was riding not to mention at 15 I was about 6 foot and 185 lbs. I paid for the quad myself from mowing lawns since a young age which aids in maturity and judgement. ( heck i'm still paying on it to this day because of other toys I have bought ) I feel that I was just as skilled of a rider after a couple months of riding as I am to this day. Granted I have added a few more mods and started racing, but the main point here is figure if a kid is responsible enough for a quad and is big enough. I remember in 6th grade one of my friends had a Scrambler 500 and now at 17 years old this kid is still only about 145 - 150 lbs, so back then he didn't need that and was riding a Raptor and KTM 125 in JR. high, he was just plain to small to throw his body weight around and fully control that bike.
Now I feel that saying letting the parents decide if they shoot up with heroin, smoke crack/pot whatever, is totally off the wall and unrelated to this subject!!!!!! We're talking about riding a 'fast' ATV at 14-15 years old versus doing highly addicted toxic and terrible drugs, I mean WTF!!!!!
But I know that regulating it to where full sized kids are on full sized atv's will be hard. There is no way to see how the kid is outside of driver's exam ( if it ever comes to that). But when I go riding and see the kids whose parents enforce the under 16 law it makes me sick. The majority of 15 year old at high school these days are approaching the high 5 foot's and when I see a 5' 11" kid on a freaking Raptor 80 I just plain feel sorry for him. And I don't know how many times I have gone racing on a Saturday night with my parents tagging along to support me and I miss out on a party, which sucks but at the same time it keeps me out of trouble, I don't drink as much, and I stay away from alot of parties where drugs are a problem. So I feel that quads are a great way to influence kids in a positive way. It gives them something to work for, look forward to, and keep them busy/out of trouble.
Heck, I'm 17 years old going to be a senior. I have the 400ex in my signature, a very nice low mileage 2000 Chevy Silverado, a very nice 1992 custom S-10, and a 1985 Honda Magna for gas mileage. I work 25 hours a week during school 35 hours in the summer stocking shelves making 6.65/ hour , and I have a lawn mowing business with numerous yards that keeps me busy an additional 10 hours a week.
Responsiblity is hard, and work is too but it pays off when I open the garage and see all my shiny toys!!!

ingleful
06-07-2006, 10:22 PM
im glad im 16

400 SS EX
06-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ingleful
im glad im 16

Perry, MO where is that?? Do you mean Perryville? What the biggest city your by Springfield, St. Louis, Kansas City. I'm 1 1/2 hours south of st. louis

ingleful
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
im about 120 miles NW of ST. Louis......look up perry on google earth lol

ingleful
06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
now im going to bed!