PDA

View Full Version : Building a 300ex

Jonesy
06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I have pretty much decided to start from scratch on this buildup. I am doing a 300ex just b/c you don't see many of them around and the local class only has a few people that race.

I have quite a bit of experience with the 300ex, so I know some of what works and what doesn't but wanted some input from you all. This isn't going to be a full blown nationals quad but I don't want a slouch either. I used to own Bradley300's old XC 350ex so I know what I'm getting into here.

Basically starting with a bare frame and working up from there. I do have some parts laying around that I'll be working with for now (3 engines, shocks, swing arm, a-arms, etc...)

Plans right now include some type of big bore kit or stroker (pump gas), full bores, long travel front end, pro pegs, and a few other doo dads.

Engine will mostly be done by me or Dr. G (scott summer's mechanic) and all other work will be done by me.

Any suggestions, comments, ideas are greatly appreciated.

elementryder
06-08-2006, 06:01 AM
for the long travel you should get GHD+3 long travel (there made for a 300ex) shock relocator and 19.5" axis shocks as for the rear get a shortened 250r swingarm adj link you will have to weld tabs on the frame for the link and get a axis 250r rear shock

XCAdam89
06-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Is this going to be an XC Bike or a MX'er.

Jonesy
06-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
Is this going to be an XC Bike or a MX'er.

A little of both. Probably won't be entered into any XC races, but I do ride a lot of woods. It will also see some air time at a few of the local mx tracks. Probably be geared more towards mx and then I can put larger tires on it for when I ride woods.

elementryder, what is GHD? Link to their website or something would be awesome. I only know of a few companies that make 300ex specific LT front ends.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

I am looking for more information on stroking it. I can't seem to find a stroker crank/rod anywhere. Ideas?

Jonesy

elementryder
06-09-2006, 03:52 PM
his screen name on here is (exman0 just keep pm and email him it may take awhile

heath720
06-09-2006, 08:23 PM
if you want to make a kick *** front end i would go with w/e 400ex long travel a-arms you like with elka quad rate shocks. you will have to get a shock mount and JB racing makes a great one. for the back end if you want to race most series' wont let you weld things to the frame so you can go with a no-link 250r swingarm and shock. then you will need a 250r carrier, axle, etc. all that stuff will bolt right up so you wont need to do any mods to the frame. i would spend the money on the chassis before the engine because you can have all the power in the world but its useless if you cant handle it.