PDA

View Full Version : oil leak...

flaneledholes
08-12-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey I was out checking my oil filter today because my bike is currently down because of a carrier... Well I bought my bike used, and I was looking and I saw that a head bolyt was loose, I could not tighten it up as tight as the rest it just would get really loose and then just start tightening up a little bit again... I also Noticed a oil leak around the fins of the right side of the motor above the oil filter and about mid-ways above the motor... Well I was going to check my oil while I was at it and it said it was bone dry,omg I am glad I didnt start it because there could have been some major trouble involved... Well does anyone know what is going on and what a fix could be??? Thanx in advance and it is a 400...

UglyMotha™
08-12-2002, 04:06 PM
sounds like you may have cracked your jug, that happend to my 300 one time and it started leaking oil around the fins and it just get worse until you loose compression and it doesn't run period

flaneledholes
08-12-2002, 05:11 PM
OUCH!!! How much am I expecting to pay here??? That sounds like alot... Dang, I hope I can sell it before it gets any worse LOL... But how is it possible to crack a jug??? Like a rock hit it, running the motor too hard, or what???

UglyMotha™
08-12-2002, 06:14 PM
i fixed my for free+the cost of gaskets, i just tigged it back together and it's still holding stronger than ever mine broke because you got 4 main post holding everything to the block and then two little bolts on a lip over by the timing chain and the two post pulled out of the block and the two little bolts couldn't hold that side down by itself so it cracked the jug right there, if you understand what i just said so i just helicord the posts back into the block and wahla good as new but this could be a whole different ball game for you

flaneledholes
08-12-2002, 06:34 PM
I think I will just take it to a mechanic and get him to fix everything... I say it will cost around $50 to see what's wrong and how much do you think it will cost to get it fixed(parts and labor)???