PDA

View Full Version : my cheep jeep

1fst400
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I got this jeep just before winter time. I beat the snot out of it over the winter/just into spring. I bought it for 1500, stuck some ole tires I had hangin around on the back. Got an inspection sticker and let er rip.

I managed to blow the rear end in it. So naturally a guy would just throw er in 4wd and keep on goin. I drove it for 150 or so miles over the next cupple days. The transfer case ended up blowing.

and its sat for a cupple months now.

I had been real busy with my quad, but Im waiting on some parts latley. So I started to tear it apart. I droped the transfer case off at the trans shop. They can fix it/ replace it.

I welded the spider gears ( what was blown). My dad seems concerned that the axle will snap when I try driving it doun the road. I tried it out on my driveway. (before I removed tranfer case, still had 2wd) I was driving in circles all day long, foward reverse. no issues. he still isnt convinced

Today I dident work, (rain). Had not much to do. So I went and bought 20$ worth of hocky pucks and put a little bit of a body lift in it. about 1 inch (2 pucks) over what the stock bushings where.

That still wasent enough lift. So I looked at the shackles. I seen them lift shackles before. I thot why not just make em? so thats what I did. So far I have only done the fronts. I stuck the jack under the rear so I can see what it will look like.

I estimate a 4 inch lift , body and shackles.

let me know what u think

1fst400
06-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I know. my garage is a MESS.

1fst400
06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
little funy looking. But cheep

1fst400
06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
things mint.

1fst400
06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
body lift

1fst400
06-07-2006, 05:32 PM
got to have the system

1fst400
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
how long the stock shackles are.

MOFO
06-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Honest opinion... your wrong... if my rear end went out, the last thing I would do is continue to drive it in 4wd.

Also, all of your mod's are junk and VERY unsafe! Just my opinion.

1fst400
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Honest opinion... your wrong... if my rear end went out, the last thing I would do is continue to drive it in 4wd.

Also, all of your mod's are junk and VERY unsafe! Just my opinion.

Have you looked at the picures properly? the whole thing is junk!!! ha, is a POS.

and the 4wd thing was a joke.... Im probly the only one that would do that.

stoled_400_:(
06-07-2006, 07:10 PM
you're lucky you got 150 miles in your jeep after blowin the rear differential... i got maybe a half mile down the road, then realized the rear end was GONE, not just a couple teeth off the spider gears or something. the first slightly sharp turn i took i felt the axles sliding out, so i turned around and parked it.

...notice the tire sticking out from the fender flares...

coolex
06-07-2006, 07:12 PM
nope ive done it in a dakota before and it worjked for about a month until the transfer case broke, my cousin has the hocky puck lift in his 89 blazer and has had it like that for about 4 years now

stoled_400_:(
06-07-2006, 07:26 PM
well why the fu(k did it work for everyone else and not me?? lol :ermm: :p

1fst400
06-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Ya, when I blew the rear end I was in west bum *uck. I made it all the way to the road in just front wheel drive. Then I drove home, went to the dealership to get some fourhweeler parts. on my way home it started skipping. so I turned the radio on. got home, forgot about it. went to go to my gf's house, got within 10 min from her house and it just made loud grinding sounds. I tried reverse and I could get it to stick if I was real easy on it. Made it another 1/4 mile in reverse, that dident work for long. called up my gf's uncle, he towed me to his house with his ford f-250.

Only reason I tried it is because I had heard of it being done for long periods of time. I remember a work truck at work broke its rear U jont on the driveshaft, they just took the drive shaft out and drove to the shop in 4wd. worked fine.

TheFontMaster
06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
My friend has done that before when he threw his rear drive shaft, just put it in 4 wheel drive, and kept goin. As far as I know it won't hurt anything to drive it like that for a while.

KWAD GAWD
06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Ditch those long front shackles.
Get some lift springs and do a shackle reverse. Mounting the shackles in the rear of the front leaf gives you a better approach angle and also allows the front axle to travel up and back, rather than up and forward - better all around.

Get some 32x9.50x15 super swampers. Only $120 each, Awesome off road, but suck on the road.

1fst400
06-07-2006, 08:22 PM
when you reverse the shackles does it mess up your pinion angle any? Or do you have to get shims for the axle?

Ram2500V10
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM
You might also consider the liability of driving on a public road with the hockey puck setup. It might be fine for off road only, but I could see an insurance company going after you if something failed and injured someone.

MOFO
06-08-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Ram2500V10
You might also consider the liability of driving on a public road with the hockey puck setup. It might be fine for off road only, but I could see an insurance company going after you if something failed and injured someone.

He is right!

Aceman
06-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Hmmm....I find it funny that you've probably spent more on an audio system than a properly engineered and safe lift kit.

1fst400
06-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Hmmm....I find it funny that you've probably spent more on an audio system than a properly engineered and safe lift kit.

no way,

amp= free
cd deck=free
subwoofers=50$
box=70$

so ya, I gues I did spend more on the radio... but that was long before I had a jeep. it was in my other car.

I can see what is unsafe about the shackles..But when you look at them in 1st person they are quite ruged.

The hocky puck lift kit is the oldest trick in the book... WHat exactly isnt safe about it, its no difrent than an ordnary body lift kit.

my cousins jeep.

1fst400
06-08-2006, 07:22 AM
his car too.

ZBlaster
06-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
his car too.

i find it hard to believe his EXO would do much in a roll

Mxjunkie
06-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I wouldnt drive that thing on the road.. will it even pass inspection?

vinson581
06-10-2006, 11:06 PM
hockey pucks arent bad BUT body lifts on YJ's or anything is a BAD idea, very VERY dangerous

now that you lifted it with shackles you spent nothing doing that....now i give your driveshaft about 50-100 miles before it slaps the body tub because of the bad vibes your going to get at about 40+ now your free shackles just turned into a 500$ project. if you intend to keep the lift expect to buy a SLIP yoke eliminator and CV telescopeing driveshaft, or your going to be breaking the stock driveshaft like it is its job....take it from another lifted YJ owner (properly lifted might i add)

and luckly you CAN drive the jeep in FWD but your going to loose all your T-case fluid with the driveshaft out because the nose cone just lets it pore out unlike the SYE setup that i put on mine.

check out Jeepforums.com they have a BUNCH of great stuff there.

btw is that a 4banger 2.5l 5spd? the motor will go forever the 2.5 or the I6

really its not that much of a POS. just fix the lift, and if you want to keep it lifted do the sye and driveshaft, and you will be A ok, also if you keep the shackels your gonna need longer brake lines because the first time you flex it your going to rip them right off., also with lifting it your going to need a DROP pitman arm or its going to cause a very unsafe steering condition on road(60$) not to mention your wheel is going to be all cockeyed :p

400eXr1d3rZ
06-10-2006, 11:10 PM
i think you need some doors

Stevie-D
06-11-2006, 02:16 PM
i blew the rear out of my old dakota last summer. happened about 8 miles from my place. blew the spider gears apart, but managed to get it home in 2wd...

to whoever mentioned blowing a u joint and driving on the front axle....i wouldnt recommend that if the yoke is removable from the transfer case output shaft. the seal wraps around the yoke, sealing in the lube;) by the time you get where you are going, your transfer case is toast:p