PDA

View Full Version : Trail Riding Help??? How much front brake????

Doibugu2
08-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Ok, semi new to the quad trail riding thing, and looking for some opinions. I have a tendency to use my front brake to much when slowing down for a turn. How much / when should I use my front brake compared to my rear brake?

Any tips would be great. Thanks

KASCHAK
08-12-2002, 10:00 PM
its really no a good idea to use your front brakes when your going into a turn..... only if your going really really fast. if you DO use the front brake you should only tap it and whatever you do, because i know from my friend dont turn and use the front brakes at the same time....... it was a really funny acurance because were picker bushes and he wrecked into them.:)

08-13-2002, 07:35 AM
I use my front break 90% of the time whether on a trail or a track,,,downshifting and tapping the front break work great for me..:D

Scott
08-13-2002, 10:02 AM
Ditto what Rico said. I only use my rear brakes if there's a panic stop or a monster downhill. For getting thru the trees it's faster to use the fronts and keep the rear tires spinning so the rear slides around easier.

Get the front tires through, if you get in too close to a tree that's why you have the nerfs, stay on the gas. The rear wheels will take care of themselves.

Different story if you don't have nerf bars. Axles are expensive.

Doibugu2
08-15-2002, 12:16 PM
What should I be doing if I have a hard left on a trail where it is rutted real bad? If I use my front brakes and have to brake hard to take the turn, my front end dives from braking so hard. In that situation should I just use my rear? I probably use my fronts 99% of the time, which I know is not the best thing, but I sometimes just forget about the rear. Guess I just need to ride more.

mxracer08
09-05-2002, 04:10 PM
following advice from doug gust in a dirtwheels mag i go at a turn as hard as i can and slam on the brakes at the last sec. No probs let except i go through pads like crazy

Pappy
09-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I use my front break 90% of the time whether on a trail or a track,,,downshifting and tapping the front break work great for me..:D

dont give away all our secrets rico;) :blah

bansheeguy77
09-05-2002, 08:05 PM
depends on how fast u wanna go...if ur on a leasure trail ride use both....if its rocky and rutted and stuff try both methods see what you like best...we can tell you what to do but u might like ur own way better....i use mostly front like rico said....all the pros say that and a few of my pro homies helped me ;) but if ur goin for fastst charge into it move up on the seat hit front try to spin back around then roll on throttle and with it ur weight farther back as well....it takes gettin used to but its well worth it if u master it....