PDA

View Full Version : MMI/UTI Technical School Help..Racing Mechanics...

BLRacing619
06-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey everyone...i have a project for school tomorrow, bascically its gonna be 5 paragraphs with 3 of them about 3 diferent colleges with what i want to do when i graduate, and that is real soon...heres where i need your peoples help, i love fixing/riding or anything that has to do with atv/dirtbikes, i am really good with working with my hands, and i want to go somehwere that is best with that and will possibly get me into the racing world....i know MMI has really good motorcycle mechanic classes but they are only in florida and i live all the way up in New jersey, i am asking this what does everyone know about MMI/UTI is it a school worth liveing thousands of miles away for?.....and two i wanna be the kind of mechanic that goes along with the pros at each race and tunes and upgrades and fixes there bikes, how did those guys get to where they are at? i know alot of the top experiacned racers on here would know some of this:confused: :confused: ..Thanks alot James

RaptorRacer45
06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Well im currently attending NTI (Nascar Tech.) which is just a UTI with a different name, I had set out to get into Nascar last year but over time my mind wants nothing to do with cars and to go into ATV/Bikes......UTI is a Car school, goin to Work in a Dealership and know all about Electronics and Hybrids and everything about todays Cars, If your into Cars and want to go work for a Dealership somewhere UTI is the place to go....but if your just into cars alittle and just want to play around with em, save yourself 30 grand and find an experienced friend.....as for MMI i really know nothing about but if it wasnt in Florida and i could remake my schooling decision i would be there......hope this helped alittle, im open to anymore questions though:D

BLRacing619
06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks i need all the help i can get..i can go to UTI with my friend in PA..but i am not into cars that much...i really want to go to MMI but its mad far away..lol..i want to be a pros personal mechanic, idk how i would get there thoe

RaptorRacer45
06-07-2006, 06:23 PM
If i knew id defently tell ya.....Id love 2 be there also if i could, but would rather like to see myself the Pro:D

mps211
06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
There's a school in Cleveland Ohio at Ohio Technical College called thier Powersprts Division. I am currently enrolled there and it's a pretty good school. They will flat out tell you they are not into High Performance as far as being a race tech. But the teachers all know thier stuff and a few of them have worked on races teams and will answer your questions in thier spare time if you are really intrested in that. The cost is around 17,000 dollars and you go for one year stright. They will teach you to learn on Honda, Yahmaha, Kawi, Suz., and Harley Davidson. I'm not sure of there web site but google them and you'll be able to find it.

TheFontMaster
06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
One of my friends, she's goin to MMI in florida in august. It's deffinatly worth the distance away from home. I'm going to WyoTech in PA in october. Personaly I think that atleast for cars, and deisel WyoTech is a little above UTI, but not by much. UTI, and thier branch schools are deffinatley some of the best in the country. If you are really into the powersports carrer then you should deffinatly go down to florida. If it's just a really serious hobby for you, you might want to look elsewhere.

BLRacing619
06-08-2006, 04:34 PM
anyone else have anything to say about this?

guy310
06-10-2006, 09:12 PM
MMI will teach you to be an entry-level dealership mechanic. To be a mechanic making all kinds of mods to pros bikes, you will need years of experience. When you get out of MMI, you will start at $7.50/hr. and you could go to a dealer and get an entry-level position for about the same money. As far as working for pro teams, that comes from having the experience level and then being in the right place at the right time. For example, if you work at Leroy's Custom Cycle Barn in BFE, WI you probably are not going to have 100 California based teams seeking you out. You have to go where the work is. That also means attending racing. The easiest way to get yourself noticed is by going where the racers are.