PDA

View Full Version : Good 'n Bad...

10-09-2001, 01:16 PM
Leo-
In another thread you commented: "more sport quads = better sport quads" -- This was the rule of thumb in the 80's...not today....not yet.

The manufacturers are putting 1/10th the R&D into new sport ATVs as they do new Utility ATVs and 1/20th the R&D they put into new Motocross bikes. SAD BUT TRUE. Case in point: the 400EX/Z400 engines, and the return of the abysmal swingarm/chain adjuster on the Z400...there was NO THOUGHT put into those decisions...just reuse existing technology to save $ in R&D. I'll tell you one thing, seeing the old Zuki swingarm & chain adjuster on this Z400 is reason enough for me not to buy one of these quads...if they didn't bother correcting the flawed design on the swingarm, what other corners did the R&D dept. at Zuki cut ???

And things will stay this way until long-term sales pick up across the board in the sport category *AND* there are no future major lawsuits like in the 80's *AND* no intervention by the US Govt.

Since 1998, seeing the birth of the 400EX, DS650, Cannondale, Raptor and now the z400, I could not be happier. But these machines are (mainly) all cautious steps back into the market by the manufacturers. They are not true hi-performance quads...not like the 250R's of old. Actually, we may not see the return of the performance ATV market at all. C-Dale and Yamaha are almost there...

The sport ATV category is back....maybe, just maybe, the competitiveness of our sport will return too someday...

10-09-2001, 01:51 PM
Yeah I noticed they used that same ugly block swingarm, bearring carrier,,,just like on the old LT's they made way back..

trx400ex
10-09-2001, 08:02 PM
i dont know much about old school suzukis, but my friend has a lt230 that sucks balls so bad...he got new tires so now he thinks hes gonna be a pro hill climber

knighttime
10-09-2001, 09:09 PM
another dumb *** zuk owner, lol