View Full Version : tough disicion

crazyc
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Lately i have been looking around at the new 400ex and right now i have an 04 yamaha beartracker. I do a little bit of mudding and mostly trail riding but i was thinking of getting into racing. I was wondering if i should trade and get a 400ex or stick with my beartracker? any commets would be appriciated, thanks!

400exc
06-08-2006, 07:49 AM
The 400ex is a bulletproof quad: its unstoppable. I dont know much about the beartracker though, so I cant say much about the good bad bad things about it. IMHO, I would sell the Beartracker and get the 400ex. They are a all around fun quad to have. You can do anything on it, little mudding, racing, stunting, etc. I think you would have more fun on the EX instead of the Beartracker. The 400ex is also a good trail rider. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Mike Walker
06-08-2006, 08:05 AM
well they are totally different machines, in power, handling, etc.

not to steer you away from the 400 EX, but because of the huge difference between the 2, have you ridden one much ???

... when you say racing... what are you talking about, MX ??? Hare Scrambles, or ???

one the local mud bogs has several 2wd classes, & we often get 400 EX's in & they do well, as long as the filter box is sealed up for the wet course...

one problem I have with the "real" sport quads, is if you do hit some mud, you get really dirty... the sportier 4 X 4 quad, with floor boards, & lower fenders, keep you at least tolorably cleaner...

... since you have a Yami currently, have you looked at the new 450 Woverine... almost a cross of the 2 quads you are looking at...

I think this guy was on a 400 EX at last years mud bog...:eek2:

crazyc
06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
thanks for the replies. i havent riden one much but i am planing on doing harescrambles.

rancher350rider
06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
i used to have a 400ex and i loved it but i went from a rancher to a 400ex and still kept my rancher for muddin but now i sold both my 400ex and rancher and i now have a brute force 750
i loved my 400ex all my friends ride sport atvs im the only 1 that rides 4x4s and likes to go mudding
i still trail ride every so often but i go in more mud
i want to try racing xc on my brute but i dont know where to start at and i havnt turned 16 yet (1 more month )
if i was you i would go with what you like more i still went muddin on my 400ex but not alot

pitchblack400
06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
i come from ridin utilities all of my life, i recently traded in my 02 rubicon, which was totally for the mud, 12 inch wide tires all around, spacers, lifted, and ive never had so much fun, its a blast to ride. Ridin wheelies anywhere anytime, huge jumps and fast hill climbs. Theres nothin like ridin a sport fourwheeler.
Then again if you get in a weird spot, reverse wont hardly pully cuz theres no weights, and theres no winch on the front of your stuck some where or somehow, you can't pull anything and they throw mud all over you, each has there own pros-and cons, i like both but while im young i want to be on a sport fourwheeler, there to much fun. And if i was going to get a sport fourwheeler i would definetely get the 400 awesome bike, and there still geared low for a sport bike newbie and tight spots, all the new 450s are geared like a Boeing 747. lol

crazyc
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
bump

Sleeper
06-17-2006, 10:23 PM
I've got a 4x4 and a 400ex built up some. I recomend having both if at all possible. I love exploring on the 4x4, but the 400ex throws more challange back into the same old trails I can just cruise down on my 4x4.

I can for certain go more places on the 4x4, so I do like it for exploring better. I can also throw the 4x4 straight out sidways on dry pavement wich is fun;)

Sleeper