PDA

View Full Version : The spring inside the air filter

Iliketogofast
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
What is the spring inside the airfilter for? I was guessing it was to keep the form, but it keeps it's form just the same without it. Is it to create a wind vortex or something stupid like that?

Iliketogofast
06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Nobody knows? I cleaned it and I don't want to put it back in 'cause it fell on the ground last night while I had the filter drying, and now it has sand on it that won't come off because of the sticky-*** filter oil.

250r4life
06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
huh, i've never had that spring come out of any of my unis...

and yes, i imagine its just to keep its form... and yes, it probably does keep its form without it, but i do not know how long that will be the case... obviously if it didnt need it UNI wouldnt waste their money putting it in...

and it shouldnt be hard to get the sand off the spring... if the spring is off, just use some filter cleaner or carb cleaner or whatever and spray off the crap, and then rinse it off, dry it real quick, and throw it back in there

jon370r
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
With the engine running it creates a vacuum and will eventually collaps the foam filter from the inside out especially as the filter gets dirty and it get more difficult to pull air through the plugged up filter. You are correct the spring is there to hold the filters form.

Meat
06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Your all wrong, thats a return spring for the powerband

zedicus00
06-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Meat
Your all wrong, thats a return spring for the powerband

is that anything like thouse high performance ceramic coated exhaust bearings???

Tom TRX250R
06-08-2006, 10:33 AM
No, no, no.....Your all wrong, its the wheelie control spring.:p

koh0001
06-08-2006, 10:41 AM
NO, that's not it eather... They have some that are shaped different than others. the shape of the spring tells the motor when the power band comes on and for how long. Get it right guys.:rolleyes:

250r4life
06-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
No, no, no.....Your all wrong, its the wheelie control spring.:p

were you in the banshee forum when the guy asked that and i had him going for a while? talking about the "wheelie sensor?"

Tom TRX250R
06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
LOL!! Yeah thats where I got it from!! I was rolling on the floor when I realized he was actually serious!:p

250r4life
06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
i felt bad... but i couldnt resist... the funny thing was he was like "thanks 250r4life... screw you other guys" cuz he didnt realize i was giving him a hard time too... then he asked if i could post a picture of it... lol...

that was definately one of the funnier posts that ive read... that and the guy in the freestyle section saying "ive got a big set of nuts" and was saying he was going to attempt a back flip and wanted pointers... funny stuff...

wicked265R
06-10-2006, 06:31 AM
LMAO i had a feeling this was gunna happen. to funny. So you mean to tell me that spring tells when the powerband should hit, and it also monitors wheelies? Im sure glad I kept my wheelie sensor spring in my airfilter!

But actually, yes it keeps the airfilter from collapsing when it is full of dirt and what not. I wouldn't take it out unless you plan on cleaning your airfilter much more than you need to.