PDA

View Full Version : Leaving compression up...bad for shocks??

NacsMXer
06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
I've always wondered this. Does leaving the compression setting on a shock cranked up hurt the seals or anything else? Like if I have my compression set at a certain point, should I be backing it off when it's sitting in storage? :confused: Thanks guys :)

Chino886
06-07-2006, 12:29 PM
I think you are thinking compression like a piston in a cylinder with lots of pressure. I don't think that is how it works, but I don't know a lot. I found this on a website that I visit frequently. Hope this helps.

What is actually happening when I turn a knob on my shock? What is actually happening is that you are closing or opening an orifice to let more or less suspension fluid through in a given amount of time. These are only used to fine tune your suspension! On the shocks with a knob on the reservoir, this is your High Speed Valving adjustment. The knob will either have about 8 different size holes on the back side of it or you will be screwing a needle in or out causing more or less fluid to come in. This is only your high speed adjustment because when the shock shaft moves into the body of the shock, this takes up space inside of the body and something has to give. This makes the fluid move into the reservoir and go through the orifices in the compression knob. When adjusting the Rebound knob or screw, located on the bottom of the shock, you are adjusting the low speed rebound valving and some low speed compression valving. As you move the screw in or out, you are actually moving a damping rod up and down in the shocks shaft, which is hollow, to a jet in the end of the shocks shaft. This is a bypass around the valving stacks on the valving piston. - AM

K_Fulk
06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I had no idea how the inside of the shock worked or that the shafts were hollow till this weekend. In this picture you can see the rebound rod above the shaft. Only there supposed to be strait. It went through the shaft.

Chino886
06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
I had no idea how the inside of the shock worked or that the shafts were hollow till this weekend. In this picture you can see the rebound rod above the shaft. Only there supposed to be strait. It went through the shaft.

Holy crap, hope everything else is alright......:eek2:

Should of stuck with HONDA....J/K! :devil:

K_Fulk
06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Casing the jump and breaking the shock didnt hurt, it was the quad running me over while i was on the ground. I'm alright though just a little road rash and my elbow was swollen.

Chino886
06-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Casing the jump and breaking the shock didnt hurt, it was the quad running me over while i was on the ground. I'm alright though just a little road rash and my elbow was swollen.

Glad your alright!

I have had that happen, but instead of casing the jump, I landed in a wheelie and the 400EX came kartwheeling after me and landed on top of me........only thing was bruised hip and coughing up blood. Rode both motos, went home and went to bed! :macho

NacsMXer
06-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the info Chino, that cleared up a lot of confusion! I now see it is very similar to how a main jet and needle function :)

Chino886
06-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Thanks for the info Chino, that cleared up a lot of confusion! I now see it is very similar to how a main jet and needle function :)

Glad I could help, trust me, I don't know squat about suspension either....:p