PDA

View Full Version : my friends z wont crank

xcracer416
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
ok, i work on all my own quads and i am a mechanic at a dodge dealership. i need all of yalls help on this. me and my buddy went riding saturday and when we got through we pulled to the side of my house and washed our quads once they got cool . he has an 05 z400 stock except for an hmf exhaust and jetted by the dealership. he had the exhaust put on when he bought it new. the quads got about 50 hours on it never gave a problem until now. after we both washed our quads we rode them around my yard easily since i live in town. it ran like normal, then we both parked in my car port so i could change my oil and go over mine. when he went to load his up it wouldnt crank. its getting gas,plenty of spark, new spark plug, plenty of compression. it acts like fuel isnt getting to the cylinder through the carb. i pulled the fuel line off and turned it over and it was flowing plenty of gas out. then i tried a no no to get it to start. i took the air filter out and shot i small amount of starting fluid into the air box. it still didnt crank, so now im out of options and need some help so i can get it running and he can ride again. what else is there on a z to check out?

yellowzo3
06-07-2006, 11:40 AM
it wont crank?... then how do you know its getting spark...you have to crank it to see if theres a spark...maybe his carb is dirty or you got some dirty gas in there.

xcracer416
06-07-2006, 01:40 PM
it guess when i meant it wont crank i meant start. southern vocabulary huh? if the carb was dirty it should have tried yo start with the small amount of starting fluid i sprayed in the air box. i used another spark plug and put it in the cap and held it against the head pipe to ground the spark plug to see the fire.

yellowzo3
06-07-2006, 02:02 PM
thats weird it should start...hope its not something internal...you didnt get water or anything in it when you were washing it right? if you used a pressure washer maybe some got in there

xcracer416
06-07-2006, 02:32 PM
i thought it should at least hit on the starting fluid. we used a water hose with a pistol nozzle on it

yellowzo3
06-07-2006, 03:37 PM
are all of your grounds tight on the quad

xcracer416
06-07-2006, 09:38 PM
went over all of them, they are good. i dunno what has happened to the thing. ive been around quads my whole life and never seen this happen

Byte
06-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Check to make sure the choke isn't sticking.

brapbrap13
06-17-2006, 01:45 PM
hope this will help.
i had a problem like this after a rebuild(i started to break the quad in about 3hrs on it), my quad had everything fuel spark compresson timming was perfect. wat i had to do was take the plug out poor a little gas in the cylinder then it fired up and i have never had the problem again.