PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Question

spliffy
08-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Ok So I Know Black Smoke Usually Means Your Rich , Blue Smoke Means You Are Burning Oil & Prolly Need New Rings , But Mine has Just Lately Started To Blow A White Smoke..... WTH Is With That? :huh

Master400ex
08-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Maby ur Lean. Thats the only thing I can think of.:confused:

Str8Wicked
08-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Last time I got a mean puff of white smoke at start up. Didn't end up starting up and ended up fouling the plug. This was the second time I had taken outt he bike and was pretty pissed. As soon as we changed the plug everything was fine. Haven;t had a problem since.

ridered86
08-12-2002, 11:59 AM
usually its just steam from condensation.

spliffy
08-12-2002, 12:28 PM
Well It Does It While Running After A While Too , Im Not Lean & Its Jetted Right From What I Can Tell , Maybe It Is Oil Burning & I Just Can't See the Bluish Tint... If So That Would Really Piss Me Off Cuz I Just Rebuilt The Thing 15 hrs Ago Or So & I Don't Feel Like Reringing It Already :( It Doesnt Seem To Effect The Running Of The Motor & The Motor Is As Strong Now As It Was When I Rebuilt It.....

Hondaguy
08-12-2002, 12:58 PM
most of the time when you get with smoke from a liquid cooled engine its because your coolents getting in your oil some how. but since you have and air cooled engine are you sure you have never been in water too deep and sucked some in. check to see what color you oil is if its a milky color than there is water in your oil.

UglyMotha™
08-12-2002, 01:55 PM
see now this is the thing that puzzles me cause black smoke means rich, blue is burning oil, and white is coolant, that's rule of thumb but see i have this trailblazer (a sicle bar type mower not a fourwheeler) that when your cutting on a hillside you can't let the muffler point down hill cause oil will get into your exhaust and gobs of white smoke will puff out kinda like oil on a hot engine block what color is the smoke, white, so maybe somehow you getting oil into your exhaust

spliffy
08-12-2002, 03:34 PM
I Guess I Will Try To Change My Oil & See If That Helps , But I Havent Been In Any Water Lately That I Can Remember & I Am Good About Changing My Oil Quite Often... But Its Worth The $8 To See If Thats the Problem... Thanks

ride300exred
08-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Does not always mean rings could be bad valve guides or seals . or many other things cam , etc.

SGA
08-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
see now this is the thing that puzzles me cause black smoke means rich, blue is burning oil, and white is coolant, that's rule of thumb but see i have this trailblazer (a sicle bar type mower not a fourwheeler) that when your cutting on a hillside you can't let the muffler point down hill cause oil will get into your exhaust and gobs of white smoke will puff out kinda like oil on a hot engine block what color is the smoke, white, so maybe somehow you getting oil into your exhaust
He's right. HEAVY oil in the cylinder will put out thick white smoke. We used to(and still do if bored) pour oil in the carb on the clunkers while revved up- you can't see nothing for 100 yards:blah
White smoke from antifreeze has a sweet smell, white smoke from lots of oil burning smells like....burning oil

racer_ex55
08-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Actually, black smoke is burning oil, usually means your rings are gone and need replacing. Blueish smoke is your fuel, and white is either condensation in your pipe or motor or burning oil. Depends what it smells like.

skemp
08-13-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by racer_ex55
Actually, black smoke is burning oil, usually means your rings are gone and need replacing. Blueish smoke is your fuel, and white is either condensation in your pipe or motor or burning oil. Depends what it smells like.

Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil. Try going outside and lighting some gas on fire and look at the smoke. Now try burning some oil in the same manner and look at the color of that.

UglyMotha™
08-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by skemp

Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil. Try going outside and lighting some gas on fire and look at the smoke. Now try burning some oil in the same manner and look at the color of that.

i'll second that black is fuel and blue is oil but when you burn gobs of oil it's white and thick

spliffy
08-13-2002, 11:13 AM
So then If It Is Oil Burning White What Could My Problem Be , I Changed My Oil Last Night & Its Still Doing It , It Isn't Gobs Of White Smoke But Its Deffinetely There & Smells Like Oil.. Not Blue At All Though, The Higher I Rev It The More That Flies Out Of The Mutha.... :huh

spliffy
08-13-2002, 11:16 AM
I Just Thought About Something... I Spose Water Could Be In My Pipe From last Time I Washed it & That Could Be Doing It , But That Was Quite A While Ago & I Wouldnt Think It Would Do It Right on Startup Right?

phatswinn
08-13-2002, 11:17 AM
you coud have water in your gas too, that happens

UglyMotha™
08-13-2002, 11:29 AM
if it smells like oil burning than you have oil burning and if you had enough water in your gas to make it smoke than there would be a definant miss if there was condensation in your pipe it takes no time for it to burn out

spliffy
08-14-2002, 07:24 AM
I Know What White Smoke Can Be From Too (Now)...... A Dirty Spark Arrestor..... I Took It Off Last Night & About A Pound Of Crap Came Out Of The Thing So I Shook It & Got All The Stuff Out Of It & Put It Back Together & Started It Up..... Walllaaaa.... No More Smoke :D I Appreciate All the Replys Cuz Without Them I Wouldnt Have Kept Narrowing Down The Problem , Thanks. :macho

ride300exred
08-14-2002, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UglyMotha
[B]if it smells like oil burning than you have oil burning
Obviously lol :D

UglyMotha™
08-14-2002, 02:00 PM
duh:o i was just stating that due to the fact that he said that is smelt like burning oil but yet it could be water in the pipe, i just wanted to assure him it was oil if it smelt like it not water

ride300exred
08-14-2002, 02:11 PM
sure sure :rolleyes:

UglyMotha™
08-14-2002, 02:26 PM
:huh GOOD GOD