PDA

View Full Version : blue tint on header pipe,,but it wipes off

10-09-2001, 12:34 PM
Ok,,,my bike runs great all the time and has since day one. No bogging, backfiring, hesitation, runs better than off the showroom floor. But in the last month or 2 I've noticed the header pipe gets a blue tint to it after a day at the track. I've not changed anything so why all of a sudden the blue tint or sign of it running lean. Also you can take a rag and wipe the blue tint away somewhat off the pipe,, and the header will have the golden brown look again,,kind like it's something on the outside of the pipe,,,it's really odd. I've never really did a plug check,,,I guess I'll check that when I get home cuz I put a new plug in before this last ride,,maybe that will tell me something,,but anyone else ever seen this problem,,,and I run a FMF headerpipe (powerbong) not a stock one. I've always went by the moto "rejet when you have to rejet" and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" what would you guys do,,,I thought about goin up 1 main jet size but hey it's working great now,,so should I just leave well enough alone???

knighttime
10-09-2001, 12:49 PM
Maybe the jets are a little clogged, slowing the flow of gas which would make the lean condition. Maybe some carb cleaner in the gas would work.

Thats pretty cool though that the powerbong turns blue when u heat it.

10-09-2001, 12:59 PM
Mine was turning a blueish color to and it started to backfire when i let off throttle. I took my carb apart and cleaned with parts cleaner and then put fuel injector cleaner in with some gas and the problem stoped??? Don not know which helped the cleaning or the injector cleaner since I did both at same time.

10-09-2001, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
Maybe the jets are a little clogged, slowing the flow of gas which would make the lean condition. Maybe some carb cleaner in the gas would work.

Thats pretty cool though that the powerbong turns blue when u heat it.

I know you mentioned yours doing this before Knighttime,,,are you still having the problem and have you ever tried wiping the powerbong after you've cleaned your bike??

knighttime
10-09-2001, 01:36 PM
Mines turnin a little brown, but i can c some blue still. Ill try to wipe the blue off tonight after work and c what happens.

10-09-2001, 02:09 PM
Oh,,,yeah forgot ta tell ya,,,,,the new 416 10.8:1 JE piston is on the way.....woo hoo..:D :D :D :D

MR. HONDA EX'S
10-10-2001, 03:53 PM
Tell me what you think of this piston. I'm still in the should I buy or not by stage. I'm not sure If i should take it apart or not. I runs to good and had mo problems at all.

10-10-2001, 05:25 PM
i tore my topend off ready to send it out and somehow i ran out of money so looks like i wont be riding for a while

knighttime
10-11-2001, 08:48 AM
The blue tint on my header pipe (powerbong) didnt seem to wipe off. But it has in the past. The pipe is now mainly dark brown with just a little blue mixed in. I think the blue is there because im running just a little lean with the main jet.