PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done?

QuadJunkies
06-06-2006, 10:12 AM
We have been comtemplating on what to do for LILQJ 's new blaster for next season and thought ...hey.... I wonder......

Is it possible for a Blaster frame to put a dirt bike motor in it? Not sure what size of a motor but MAYBE a 125cc . I wa stold that the Blaster frame is heavy so a bigger motor might be more beneficial

I see mostly 250r /400ex Chassis ect but I dont know that Ive seen a Blaster Frame with one . the blaster fits her VERY WELL and it only makessense since we already have it .

The reason why I ask is ,she has a brand new Blaster and when shes a bit older and bigger, we will throw a Big bore on that motor but she could run the 91 open 12-15 class this way a little longer .

Shes been stressing that she wont be able to race next year :(
Kelsey is 12 years old and not ready for a womens class and is doing very well on her mini , I dont want to rush her in a full sized quad class just yet.

Can his be done with good results?

I cant afford to go deep in the pcoket with this conversion but if I need to so that my DAughter can Prol;ong her racing....

Ill sell mine to pick up the price tag so she can do what she loves. :ermm: :(

Raptor350yamaha
06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
I am building a blaster and probably put a 80 engine in it. I have heard a 80-85 engine will pull it just fine. But I am no expert on this.

BradLoomis
06-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Yes Tina. This is done all the time and is no bigger deal than installing a smaller motor in a 250R frame. Most people do shy away from the blasters though because the geometry is not as good as the 250R. Supposedly one of the best geometries is the 300 and 400 EX. I am building a 250R shifter right now because parts are so cheap.

zorg
06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I built one last year with a cr80 motor in a blaster frame works great. The cr80 blaster will beat a stock blaster. I still have it and my son loves riding it.

zorg
06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
If you do the project do it right from the start. Use the swingarm bolt through the motor don't push the motor up and weld brackets. You will have to cut the swingarm to line up the sprockets and have a new rear sprocket made for a 428 chain. There's alot of little things to do but when completed it's fun.;)

Livin4Real
06-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Shes been stressing that she wont be able to race next year

Do your local tracks not allow for a 12-15 yr. old 90 class? She should have a couple years before she has to move up.

QuadJunkies
06-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
Do your local tracks not allow for a 12-15 yr. old 90 class? She should have a couple years before she has to move up.

cut off locally is age 12 forthe minis .

This will be for out of town racing in a Series that accomedates a 91-125cc class.
you would think they would have one ,but there isnt a whole of of demand for a a mini class here and she would like to run with more kids. I was hoping by now there would be :(If we can swing it next season, were going to try and do that instead .

Well, Im glad to hear that it can be done!! We will have to keep our eyes out for a biek then and start saving up .
Troy and I talked and were going to shoot for a YZ125 I think.

So what about KTM just out of curiousity??

newnick
06-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Might want to look at the rules close. They usually limit the shifters to 90cc, 2 stroke, water cooled. They race with the Blasters and 300ex's down here in Tx. I've been kickin the same idea around a while now but can't make up my mind.

Livin4Real
06-07-2006, 05:07 AM
I can't believe 12 is the cutoff, heck 12 is the "minimum age" according to dealerships for 90's lol. That sucks. A ktm motor would rock but woooo that's pricey.

QuadJunkies
06-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
I can't believe 12 is the cutoff, heck 12 is the "minimum age" according to dealerships for 90's lol. That sucks. A ktm motor would rock but woooo that's pricey.

I think when those rules came to mind, they were from years ago and quads werent not really apart of the track then like they are now .It was geared more towards the bikes .If the demand was here ,it could be changed Im sure but were aiming to race more out of town and out of State .

LOL I was wondered how long it would take for someone to mention this .. :p

QuadJunkies
06-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by newnick
Might want to look at the rules close. They usually limit the shifters to 90cc, 2 stroke, water cooled. They race with the Blasters and 300ex's down here in Tx. I've been kickin the same idea around a while now but can't make up my mind. There isnt really a quads rule book locally .

Maybe somewhere down the road there will be over time as the sport grows.

So whats a KTM run ? Are they reliable? IVe seen some YZ125's going for about 2000.00-3000.00

Hoggr9
06-19-2006, 05:45 AM
We built one with a cr80 motor in the blaster.
It will run with the stock blaster.
This is a great project,part are availalbe and cheap.

camsdad
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
a cr85 is all most 12y/o kids can handles a yz125 will be a beast and a handful for a kid ..like above post state a cr80 powered blaster will out run a stock blaster and with the right rider will beat some of the modded blasters...

QuadJunkies
06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Hoggr9
We built one with a cr80 motor in the blaster.
It will run with the stock blaster.
This is a great project,part are availalbe and cheap.

A CR will only hang with a Stock Blaster??? That would concern me considering her stroker mini will hang if not beat a stock Blaster :confused: She can more than handle what she already has so a 125 is more up her Ally I think. I am a more conservative parent and would not say that if I didnt thin kshe was ready for the move . I dont belive putting a child opn a quad thats too large and doesnt utilize what power they already have :)

We are seriously leaning towards a 125. I do have to say though, it sounds like ALOT of work!:scary: :p but might be kind of a fun project that will benifeit both my kids and get plenty of use .