PDA

View Full Version : Transmission on wheelies

08-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Does it hurt the transmission when you start out by doing a wheelie by pulling in the clutch, rev the throttle some, then dump the clutch, and then when i'm going does is hurt the transmission when i switch to second without the clutch. another question should i get my fenders cut off racing style

Sportrax10
08-12-2002, 12:32 AM
i cant answer the first questions but about race cutting the fenders... if you ride in trails or an mud AT ALL i wouldnt, but if u strickly MX race then go ahead

ridered86
08-12-2002, 06:30 PM
i dont agree sporttax boy, i cut mine a few weeks ago gearing up for mx and have ridden several times in sand and wet trails and have not had a problem! unless youve done it dont tell the kid what to do. and if you have i appolagize,but im sick of people passing rumors!!!:mad:

87Warrior
08-12-2002, 08:35 PM
it doesn't hurt your transmission when you dump your clutch, if anything it hurts the clutch

at least i hope it doesn't

08-12-2002, 11:09 PM
what i mean does it hurt the transmission if I switch from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 without the clutch while riding a wheelie

yamaha1470
08-13-2002, 05:08 AM
cut the fenders. people make such a big deal about getting dirty. I dont know about you guys but im not looking to stay clean while on a quad. I have rode in mud, rain, rocks, and dust with cut fenders and its not bad.

87Warrior
08-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by quadgod
what i mean does it hurt the transmission if I switch from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 without the clutch while riding a wheelie

well then just use the clutch its not that hard

and if you are in high rpms it will most likely damage your tranny

RideRed400StYlE
08-13-2002, 09:20 PM
heres a little wheelie tip?? a honda mechanic that I know who now rides trials bikes used to have a street bike, he pulled it up in a wheelie and rode for 2 miles (no joke) anyway a little bit after the 2 mile mark the back wheel locked up. so he pulled in the clutch and rolled to a stop on the side of the road. all the oil went to the back of the motor, and couldnt get pulled back up through and he froze the piston up..
so I guess what I am tryin to say is dont ride any 2 mile wheelies, haha

airheadedduner
08-14-2002, 12:36 AM
I don't think that can happen to an EX cause it uses a dry sump oiling system, I could be wrong but I have seen people ride wheelies all the way down the flats at florence and it is a long way. Shifting without the clutch is okay as long as you arn't hard on the throttle. Most street bike riders I know don't. I don't think it hurts it at all. If the tranny stands up to the shockloads placed on it by MX then wheelies should be nothin.

250boy
08-17-2002, 07:13 PM
test

Crazy4bluEx
08-18-2002, 01:18 AM
The fender cutting = getting dirty problem has always cracked me up...
i have 1 question for any 400ex/300ex rider, do you think the factory front fenders keep much off of you??? lol ....
i know that where i ride... *could just be indiana mud*
it just seems to get you dirty any ways, i honestly think i stay cleaner now... since the actual water hits me an my back fenders, causing the thick mud to run off... but if i had front fenders, the nerfswould clog up, and the back an front tires would cover me anywayz, so it is a no win, an if your that worried about gettin dirty, buy a 4x4... but then you will get ROOSTED on by the rest of the SPORT quads, so then ur dirty anywayz..

*K*

TravEX
08-18-2002, 06:12 AM
good point crazy, i have toyed with the idea of cutting mine, because like crazy said, the stock fenders don't keep anything off of you, and my nerfs get clogged really fast with mud/wet grass and stuff,,,later

sharpshooter
08-18-2002, 12:15 PM
I used to be into street bikes for a few years but had a nice wreck from trying a stand up wheelie. So, now my toy is a 400ex.I do know a lot about four wheelers and street bikes.You can hurt your transmission by reving it up and popping the clutch to do a wheelie but your not going to hurt it by up shifting without the clutch.Your fourwheeler has enough power to pull a wheelie without the clutch anyway. I can ride all 5 gears with mine in a wheelie and you won't hurt the motor because it is a dry sump.Street bikes are not dry sump that is why you can blow the motors from long wheelies. I've seen a lot of blown transmissions and motors on street bikes from popping the clutch and riding to long of wheelies.But on the other hand don't downshift without the clutch or you will have problems.Also I like my four wheeler better with cut fenders but it is more how it looks because I got covered with mud either way.

YLW400
08-18-2002, 02:06 PM
You finally gave in didn't you??