PDA

View Full Version : For you DS650 owners...

EricB
08-11-2002, 11:20 PM
Hey my brother is getting ready to buy a bike, either a raptor banshee or a DS650. he really likes my 400 but he wants to get something else so we can alternate. anyhow, i haven't heard anything about the DS650 other than that they're way fast. but is there any known problems with them or anything? we do a lot of trail riding and a lot of dune riding, or will be doing dune riding. do they have any odd maintaince things or anything? i can't really think of anything else because i'm a little intoxicated. but give me the low down on them please.

own2424
08-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Get the BANSHEE for the dunes!

DillonTMNT
08-12-2002, 12:32 AM
unless the trails you ride in are less than like 52 inches wide then I would go with the DS650. They are big and powerful. For what you are wanting it for I would get it. They can handle trails good despite what people say.

-Dillon

QuadJunkies
08-12-2002, 12:34 AM
I rode a DS for the first time a few wks. ago and I loved it!! It had a twist throdle on it(never rode with one before,kinda different) and power indeed!! Its all in the riders preference ,Banshee,DS, 400,Raptor ect.. are kinda in there own class .You cant get it all in one quad.The only thing I didnt like about the Ds ,is its HEAVY!! And you can feel it.It had a rev kit on it too,Its great fun and I love how comfortable the seat is..DOnt know much about it, they need to do more in the mags on this quad :( good luck on getting the info you need ! :)

Sportrax10
08-12-2002, 12:57 AM
Get the BANSHEE for the dunes!

Yes a banshee is the best for the dunes....
I heard a that DS650 are really big.... but thats it

The best thing to do it wait untill honda comes out with there new sport quad, or MAYBE get a Z400?

Nausty
08-12-2002, 02:31 AM
i say raptor

EricB
08-12-2002, 10:27 AM
yeah if he's going to get a 4stroke i think he's going to get a raptor. the ds is nice but its way huge and heavy. but right now its a toss up between a shee and a raptor, Z400 out of the question...no brother of mine rides zuki! haha. but yeah, i think he's going with the shee, he wants a 2 stroke for some reason, i guess the powa!

QuadJunkies
08-12-2002, 10:34 AM
The Banshee is definately master on the dunes...But Ds does good too, but is VERY HEAVY..Hey, I heard someone telling me that they are discontinuing the model of Banshee here in the next couple of years(by 2005) due to air quality issues,has anyone heard this also, I didnt get all the ins and outs, but they told a freind of mine about it at Yamaha the other day:confused:

BoMbEr416
08-12-2002, 04:24 PM
the people who say th eDS is to big and heavy are the ones who never rode or owned one before. i can through my DS around like it was a lil boys toy. once you get it airborne it can be manovered like any other quad. i have owned banshees, blasters, polaris's and this by far is my favorite quad. i also planned on racing it in some MX but it is for sale now for a car.
as far as reliability goes, this thing is indestructable. the reason it is "bigger" is becuase it was made with quality. no need for aftermarket things on here becuase it is industructable. jetting can be tought to a monkey with this thing, oil changes are a snap, chain adjusting couldnt be easier and the suspension is the best i have ever seen.

FullBore52
08-12-2002, 04:43 PM
How big of a guy is your friend Eric? If hes a bigger guy go for the DS. If hes not, get the shee...it truly is the best thing for the sand. As far as the shee being gone by 2005, all two strokes will probably be canned by 2005 or 2006 because of california...

QuadJunkies
08-12-2002, 04:45 PM
WEll, I dont own one, But I DID ride one on and off all day long, and so did a few others, I personally felt it to be heavy, But I loved the DS.I love its power and For the Taller people,it fits real nice...You may not think it feels heavy, but I did. Again, all in personal preference,personally I think they are awesome!!

Blysster
08-12-2002, 04:58 PM
I have tried all of the bikes from the blaster, to the z400 and I would say the DS650 was BY FAR the best quad I have ridden.

The raptor feels much tippier than the DS and as far as power you can get much more out of the DS. Also for the reliability the DS is the king, I would even consider it better than the 300ex and 400ex.

Only thing I can recommend is to try both the raptor and the DS you will feel much more confortable on it. Even if it is a bit heavier it feels much more predictable, no matter what all those "yamaha sponsored" magazines say.

My next quad will be a bombardier! (unless honda ever get their arss in gear)

BoMbEr416
08-12-2002, 06:18 PM
true, i am 6'1 and 215 pounds and grew up on polaris quads so i am prolly just used to heavier quads. but i know soem people that are a lot smaller than me (5'6 134 pounds) that owns a Baja and he can handle it pretty well too. if reliability is what u want go with a 400ex or a DS, i would get a 400ex over a raptor or Z anyday. i was actually gonna get a 400ex but i seen my DS for a way good deal, couldnt pass it up, but no i am addicted to it and wouldnt give it up.

EricB
08-12-2002, 07:46 PM
thanks for the input guys!

well i'm 6'1" 260ish and my brother is 5'11" same body type, don't know how much he weighs. but he's been riding even longer than me, so he's a good rider. i konw that he or i could easily controll the bike. i know on my fohundred i can toss that thing arround like a rag doll hehe. i don't think controling the quad is going to be an issue for either of us, and the power excites me. i don't know of any DS dealers in the area where i live, so we're going to have to take a trip. plus i don't know anyone who owns one. someone owns anyother bike than this hehe. but yeah, i'm getting all stoked about them now hehe. i wish that i had read into them a little more and rode one before getting the fohundred. don't get me wrong i like it, but 650....*drools* sorry big numbers make me happy hehe.

but any other input is more than welcome.

Edit: Also one of the reasons he wants to get a Shee is because they're going to be getting ride of the 2stroke quads *displays middle finger to the stupid cali librals whos doing this!* oh and they're insanely fast.

DMC mx400ex
08-12-2002, 08:07 PM
I THKN YOU SHOULD GET THE NEW PREDATOR, WWW.PREDATOR500.COM

Ham Sandwich
08-12-2002, 09:17 PM
well i'm 6'1" 260ish and my brother is 5'11" same body type

i would say it's mandatory you get a ds650, it is made for 200 + pound riders

you can get them for the same price if not cheaper than a 400ex if you shop around and jew a little.:)

08-12-2002, 09:58 PM
I have a friend who fits your weight/height to a tee and he just loves his baja.

Has had some stupid little probs like a short that had drained the battery for a while but was fixed and not others that I heard of.

He has even managed to bottom that thing out a couple times so think how bad the banshee frame would have gotten bent with the "big boy" bottoming it.

Plus the baja just seems to float over the rough stuff, and you dont need to spend the 2k+ I did on my 400ex to get the long travel.

QuadJunkies
08-13-2002, 01:16 AM
Is this going to effect all 2 stroke dirt bikes and the mini quad too? I jusy bought to new mini quads so Im gonna be a little ticked off if they cant ride them and Im stuck with them.Not much out there for the minis but 2 strokes :(

EricB
08-13-2002, 10:21 AM
no its going to be like what honda did with the 250r and what everyone did with the atcs. you can still ride them, its just that no one is going to make them. but i don't think that they're going to ban dirt bikes, the pros and the racers will still be able to get/race them, so i meen there will be a way to get 2smokes still.

but yeah, i meen sometimes i wish i had more powa, the powa of the DS. but the 400 does fine with me or him on it honestly. but i still haven't rode a DS, i really want to now for sure hehe.

QuadJunkies
08-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Wheww....Thanks:) I feel MUCH better now...that would just be my luck...

BADASSBOMB
08-13-2002, 02:10 PM
i just got to say if your 6 foot or more and 200+ go with the ds . theres no other bike out there for us big guys . u can power slide a ds around a turn 5th wide open and not have to worry about fliping . try that with a 400ex and your a dead man .im not saying the 400 is bad i love my girlfriends 400 ita wheelie animal and keeps right up with my ds until 4th and 5th kick in . but to make a 400 as wide as a ds comes stock is going to cost 1500+ and you still don,t have the power of the ds . so think if u put that 1500 in the ds for a ron woods kit . thats just my 2cents

ohh yea the ds is the new king of the dunes ( beside drag shee)
go check out atvconnection .. the fastest 4strokes over there are ds,s ... so thats proff in it self ..

PsychoDave
08-13-2002, 03:49 PM
dont waste you money on a DS. my friend has one and it is twitchy. it steers like crap, has only mid range power. It has fan problems, squeeks like a mo fo. I beat him with my 400 with a pipe. My 416 crushes it. Dont get me wrong, the DS is a nice quad and I love how it feels to sit on but you wont like it. Oh yeah my friend KNOWS how to ride and he said it jumped like crap. He has owned many quads including a 250R. Now he owns a Raptor!!!! Has no problems with it and it blows away the DS. Just my 2 cents.

BADASSBOMB
08-14-2002, 06:14 AM
lmao you crush ds with your 400 comon now . all i can say is your friend doen,t no nothing about quads then all u have to do is tune the shocks to your riding weight and there goes the twichy stearing . and as far as probles wow the fan .. try blowing a trainie . of blowing off the carbs .or breaking there weak axel .. all raptor problems ..

for the guys that is thinking about the ds for his brother all i can say is go over to atvconnection and ask how many problems or how they like there ds ... then ask who has the fastest 4stroke on the site and u will find out its a ds .

people are just hating on the ds because its the bomb ..lol
just had to trow that in there ..

PsychoDave
08-14-2002, 06:40 PM
i like the bomb, but i posted my FACTS. I crushed the bomb and it had a pipe and was jetted!!!! That was with my 400 w/ a pipe.
once i got a 416...it was not even close...unless 7 quad lengths is close?

Honestly i like the DS. It is a big machine. Has balls, but is VERY heavy. I hated having to push that sucker.

BADASSBOMB
08-15-2002, 11:37 AM
I HERE YEA BUT MY GIRL FRIEND HAS A 2001 EX WITH PIPE JETTED AIR FILTER AND I TAKE THAT ALL TIME AND RACE MY BUDDIES RAPTOR ,CANNODALE , AND RACE MY BUDDYS ON MY DS AND THERE IS NO WAY A 400EX IS GOING TO CRUSH A DS BY 7 BIKES THERE JUST NO WAY . MAYBE A WORK TO THE BALLS 400 WILL BEAT A DS BUT NOT A SEMI MODED EX .

P.S DID THE GUY ON THE DS KNOW YOU TO WHERE RACING ???
LOLOLOLOLOL