PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust your chain?

eaheer
06-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Ok I am a little new to the chain driven quads. I was wondering how the hell do you adjust your chain? I don't see anything that moves to tight or loosen the chain. I am sorry if this has been asked already. I have two quads my signature tells you what I have, PLEASE inform me!

ingleful
06-06-2006, 08:57 AM
okkk i'll tell ya....look down on ur swing arm and directly to the right of ur chain u'll see i think 4 allen screw thins ....u have to lossen them up then after u got all them loosend theres this lil thing i think tot he right of ur sprocket and it has lil notches in it and ull have to use a really strong lil bar..like a chisel or sumthin but u pull down to tighten it and push up to loosen it..its kinda hard....then when u got ur chain where i want it tighten the allen screw things back up and ur ready to go...id give a better description but my quads in the shop:D

06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
to better explain since i know how to do it and was confused by the last reply...
all of this is kneeling at the rear end of the bike of course
1. loosen the 4 allen head bolts on the end of your swing arm
2. Stick you allen wrnech in the slots on the left side of the swing-arm. this will be the part that is on the swingarm, but immedialty to the right of the chain. pull your allen wrnech toward you to tighten, push away to loosen. with rider weight on the machine, you should have 1 3/16 to 1 9/16(30-40mm) of slack midway between the sprockets.
3. tighten the allen screw

if it is hard to turn the adjuster, it might be time for new bearings, or to at least pull the whole axle assembly apart and regrease inside.

jiffers
06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
i found this the best way by far

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/sitemap_set.html

ingleful
06-06-2006, 10:07 AM
yes that would also work lol

eaheer
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by jiffers
i found this the best way by far

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/sitemap_set.html Thank you, I like pictures it helps me out more then trying to read about something I have never done. I take it this is basically the same principle for most quads.