PDA

View Full Version : 250x transmission/clutch problem?

Jwilsonpwt
06-06-2006, 06:37 AM
This weekend I was out riding my 87 250x. During a quick drag down a fire road I noticed that after I was in 3rd gear for a few seconds there was what felt like a quick slip or miss for the quad. I noticed this a few more times thoughout the weekend, but had no major problems. I've heard of some problems with the earlier 250x transmissions, and I was wondering what people thought. It shifts perfectly up and down through the gears, and does not pop out. It does not miss otherwise, and I have only experienced this in 3rd gear. I talked to a tech at a local dealer and he thought it may be the clutch slipping at a certain point in the torque curve. Any ideas or info would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Honda TRX250ex
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
My 87 250x has the same problem. I talked to a few people and they said that it was a shift fork. Well i took apart my engine and split the case and found out that on mine it was not a shift fork it was a thrust washer. Well my dad put a new washer in it and when we put it back together the third gear worked great. But since the washer that my dad put in there was not a real thrust washer it work down and my third gear still skips but now i know the reason so this winter I'm going to fix it the right way. To find out if your problem is the same as mine see if you counter shaft (where your front sprocket connects up to) moves in and out. If it does then thats most likey the problem.