PDA

View Full Version : LTR450 Frame Recall

DBF1972
06-06-2006, 05:49 AM
I know there is a couple of posts/threads on this already, but I wanted to let you all know that I am getting my looked at tomorrow at my local Suzuki dealer. I will keep you posted on what happens.

I lifted my quad up to look for myself, and saw no cracks around the brackets or welds. I am praying that my dealer doesn't find any either. I will let you all know how it goes, and post another reply when it has been done. I hope it just an inspection & the welding. I can't imagine the "down" time if the whole frame needs to be replaced. Not to mention the worry about all that has to be taken off & put back on. My dealer is awesome, but I would still be a little bit concerned.

Has anyone out there had it welded / inspected yet?

Thanks...

AL Elks
06-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Dropped mine off yesterday!

DBF1972
06-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Sounds good...Let me know how it went! Well...unfortunately for my end of this deal is that my dealer that I go throw does not have a welded on site, or someone certified to welded the frame. Looks like I am getting a whole new frame. In one aspect I am very cool with that, but on the other hand I am a little nervous about the changing out of ALL components. I trust my dealer, and have done business with them for over 10 years, know their head technician also, so I should be ok. I hope...

mike_repine
06-06-2006, 09:53 AM
DBF1972,

So are we still practicing at Breezewood Saturday or am I flying solo? Sorry to here the bad news about the frame man. I know that's not the route you wanted to go. I still haven't had a chance to look at mine yet. Hopefully tonight I'll get a look see.

Talk to you later..

DBF1972
06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Mike_Repine,

No... I think I am still going to go Saturday. Count me in! I still can't believe that my dealer will have to replace the frame. You might want to be preparred for that also with your dealer. FYI...

Thanks....Talk to you later in the week.

AL Elks
06-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by DBF1972
Sounds good...Let me know how it went! Well...unfortunately for my end of this deal is that my dealer that I go throw does not have a welded on site, or someone certified to welded the frame. Looks like I am getting a whole new frame. In one aspect I am very cool with that, but on the other hand I am a little nervous about the changing out of ALL components. I trust my dealer, and have done business with them for over 10 years, know their head technician also, so I should be ok. I hope...

WHAT! Your dealer is going to put in a new frame rather than have someone weld it? Heck there's even a sentence in the recall stating that if they had to send it out to be welded that they would be paid a set amount to do it.

Personally I wouldn't let them put a new frame on as there's no telling when you'll get it back.

Here's the part I'm referring to:

FRAME HAS BEEN WELDED:
SCAT Long Form Claim:
Enter your labor time as 2.5 hours. Enter the actual welding expenses as sublet labor. If the
actual welding expenses are going to exceed $58.00 You WILL need to contact TECHLINE for
an authorization number BEFORE welding the frame.
NOTE: Please retain a copy of the repair order with a copy of the welding charges in your service
department as your TSM or ASMC may request copies to verify the warranty claim.

DezSled
06-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Having just talked with the service rep at the dealership, he said that if the frame needs to be replaced that Suzuki America will pay for each quads frame replacement 8 hours per frame. 2.5 hours if the frame just needs to be welded up. Also said they don't make much on warranty work.
When I went down there they had a couple new ones with the tank removed waiting for the frame welding mod, and they had already done 4 frames. They said they would call to let me know if the frame needs to be replaced. I didn't see any paint flaking or cracks. So I'll have to wait and see.....

hondaracer31
06-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by mike_repine
DBF1972,

So are we still practicing at Breezewood Saturday or am I flying solo? Sorry to here the bad news about the frame man. I know that's not the route you wanted to go. I still haven't had a chance to look at mine yet. Hopefully tonight I'll get a look see.

Talk to you later..

Stop draggin' yer feet!! You better get that thing fixed before the 4th of July. I might want to ride it again, and I'd hate to be the one on it when it broke!:huh

DBF1972
06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
My dealer is going to outsource the welding to a local professional welder. The dealer will do the disassembly / assembly, and the welder will do the work. No new frame. Thank god...

Thanks for the reponses guys...

mike_repine
06-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Hondaracer31,
I know what you mean. I don't want to be on it when it goes either. More pain than i care to endure.

I checked mine last night and sure enough it's one of the recalls. I'm was wondering, do you have to take it to the dealer you bought it from or will any Suzuki dealer do the work? My dealer is very slow on repairs. Seriously, glaciers will melt and the Middle East will be a peaceful region before I get my quad back. They've had my Blaster for over two months for an engine rebuild. Ridiculous! Anyway, DBF1972 I may be taking mine to your dealer. They seam like they're on it.

AL Elks
06-07-2006, 05:51 AM
You can take it to any dealer!

Maxxis96
06-07-2006, 06:07 AM
I work at a Suzuki shop and When I bought mine (LTR) I picked the newest VIN. # that had just showed up...Everybody questioned it....Man im I glad now...I was about 500 above the affected VIN range...ha

quadracer3
06-10-2006, 08:13 AM
THI SUCCKS GOT A LETTER THE OTHER DAY AND MINES ON THE RECALL ,AND THE DEALER WERE I BOUGHT IT ARE A BUNCH OF RETARDS WE CALLED AND THE TOLD ME I DIDNT BUY IT THERE BUT I THINCK I WILL REMBER SPENDING 7 GRAND SOMEWERE THEN THEY HAVE T0 SEND MY QUAD TO CERT WELDER AND THEY SAID THERE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR STUFF THAT IS STOLEN WTF.SO I HAVE TO PUT ALL MY STOCK SH$$ BACK ON IT.MAYBE I SHOULD FIX IT MYSELF ONLY HAVE TWO MONTHS OF WARRANTY LEFT.

AL Elks
06-10-2006, 08:20 AM
No need to put yor stock stuff back on. This is a recall they absolutely have to fix with no questions asked. It's a safety recall. Also it doesn't matter what dealer you take it to. Even if you didn't buy it there they have to fix it.

LuckyOxygen
06-10-2006, 11:33 PM
I welded mine up a while back, do yall think that will void the recall or warranty? I didnt do that great if a job so i still kinda wanna have it checked out. What do yall think i should do?

LT250RMan
06-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by LuckyOxygen
I welded mine up a while back, do yall think that will void the recall or warranty? I didnt do that great if a job so i still kinda wanna have it checked out. What do yall think i should do?

Man that might void the warranty, you should of just took it to a dealer and complained about the cracks if it was on warranty they have to fix it.

jason14x
06-11-2006, 04:16 PM
It is a saftey recall if you welded it due to this problem one way or another they HAVE to make sure its ok. If you bring it to your dealer and they deny to do it then you go out and break it and get hurt they (your dealer) are looking at a lawsuit. I am NOT recommending suing your dealer all I am saying is push the issue VERY VERY VERY hard if they give you a problem. Your dealer is being compensated by Suzuki for these repairs so MAKE them do it! At least this way its welded by a professional or you have a new frame . Either way you get what you want. A machine you can ride and enjoy!

Jason NEATV-MX

AL Elks
06-11-2006, 05:32 PM
You shouldn't have a problem getting them to look at it and do a little more welding if needed. You were just being pro-active because you knew they were breaking. They can't falt you for trying to fix a known defect. You just tried to fix it prior to the official recall. It shows that you were concerned about the problem and tried to fix it.

LuckyOxygen
06-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks alot, the dealer i got it from is about 3.5 hrs away so i prolly wont take it to them for a week or so.

E.POWERSPORTS
06-24-2006, 10:23 AM
If anyone just needs their frame welded, we are turning them around in a day or two currently. If anyone needs the frame replaced, it will take a little longer ofcoarse. PM me if you need help getting it turned around quickly I will do what ever I can. We are just north of Seattle though, so we might be a drive for some.

Jonas
07-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, has anyone had to have their frame replaced yet from this recall?