PDA

View Full Version : nerf bars with 22s

dakar
06-06-2006, 04:01 AM
gday
which after market nerf bars /heel guards fit with 22 inch rear tires?
im leaning towards the pro armor or rath racing units but just need to know whether they will fit with 22 inch rear tires or will they require modification??
cheers lads
seb

KWAD GAWD
06-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Why do you need to run 22 in rear tires?
Tractor tires! Why don't you just run a tall 20?

I have Pro Armors, and they are about 1.5" from rubbing with ITP GNCC 20s, and that is a small 20.

ingleful
06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
throw some kenda klaw 18 inchers on the back!

dakar
06-06-2006, 12:29 PM
a tall 20??
who makes a tall 20 compared to a small 20?
i race desert here in the middle east , and its mostly wide open , flat out high speed racing , more suited to the taller gearing that i can get from 22s ?
have you ridden an ltr with 22s , what do ya think of it?

Scro
06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by dakar
a tall 20??
who makes a tall 20 compared to a small 20?
i race desert here in the middle east , and its mostly wide open , flat out high speed racing , more suited to the taller gearing that i can get from 22s ?
have you ridden an ltr with 22s , what do ya think of it?

HD's seem taller than most IMO

KWAD GAWD
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
No tire is the same size. Not even two of the same tire. Different brands, different models - they are all different.

The pro riders don't even run the same air pressure in each tire because of this... they measure the circumference around the outside of the tire, then inflate or deflate one or the other until they measure the same around. Joe Byrd used to leave his "big" TT tire out in the hot sun to shrink it a little - so both his tires would be even.

Point is, no tire is true.

Some tires are labeled 20" but measure 19.75" (a short 20") Some tires are labeled 20" but measure 20.5" (a tall 20"). All you have to do it line them up side by side - you'll see.

ITP GNCC tire is a small 20.
ITP HD and XCR are bigger, but still says 20.

22s are waaaay to big.
Run 20s, they are less bouncy, much lighter and won't throw your gearing off.. if TALL gearing is what you're looking for.

ScooterBike
06-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I did a XC race with 22s. Good for added speed but thats all. 1st gear technical sections its to tall, work the clutch to hard. If you need it for ground clearance then go for a 13t front.

At first the 22 Razr2 didnt fit but later with chain stretch it fits. It affects handling also. I am back on 20s now...

goldrims04
06-06-2006, 09:07 PM
i run 22in the rear and 23 in the front for xc love it just had to mod my heel guards a little

goldrims04
06-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
No tire is the same size. Not even two of the same tire. Different brands, different models - they are all different.

The pro riders don't even run the same air pressure in each tire because of this... they measure the circumference around the outside of the tire, then inflate or deflate one or the other until they measure the same around. Joe Byrd used to leave his "big" TT tire out in the hot sun to shrink it a little - so both his tires would be even.

Point is, no tire is true.

Some tires are labeled 20" but measure 19.75" (a short 20") Some tires are labeled 20" but measure 20.5" (a tall 20"). All you have to do it line them up side by side - you'll see.

ITP GNCC tire is a small 20.
ITP HD and XCR are bigger, but still says 20.

22s are waaaay to big.
Run 20s, they are less bouncy, much lighter and won't throw your gearing off.. if TALL gearing is what you're looking for. the guys that run baja have 26 inches all the way a round i read an atical in dirt wheels magazine

DWR270
06-06-2006, 09:49 PM

You set a tire in the sun to swell it to increase its roll-out.

desertratt45
06-08-2006, 07:28 AM
ac's are designed to let you use a 22" tire. its real close though.

KWAD GAWD
06-08-2006, 08:19 AM
You set a tire in the sun to swell it to increase its roll-out.

Oops, yea... that's what I meant. LOL
I got the sun part right though!

KWAD GAWD
06-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by goldrims04
the guys that run baja have 26 inches all the way a round i read an atical in dirt wheels magazine
Yea, that may be true for BAJA. Try trail riding or play riding or racing XC with 26s... you'd float down the creek.

Flynbryan19
06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
Yea, that may be true for BAJA. Try trail riding or play riding or racing XC with 26s... you'd float down the creek.

Well....the fella did say that he races desert races.... Maybe a 22" tire is just what he wants.:ermm: