PDA

View Full Version : big guy jumping a 2006 400ex

fjyct
06-05-2006, 10:29 PM
recently i asked if the stock suspension on a 2006 400 ex would hold up from the abuse of jumping, most people said i would be surprised to hear that the stock suspension should hold up good, just is pretty bouncy. one thing i forgot to mention is that im a pretty big guy, 6 foot 2, 250 pounds. being a big guy , should the stock suspension still hold up? im looking into upgrading, but probly wont be able to for atleast 4-6 months.

400exrules
06-05-2006, 10:47 PM
it would prob be good for you trail riding, and small jumps....stock is too stiff for me on trails, i weigh 150lbs. i adjusted the preload and it helped soften them up for me.

fjyct
06-05-2006, 11:11 PM
is there any certain things that would cause them to break or anything, or any signs to watch for that may mean they are broken or worn out?

400exrider707
06-06-2006, 07:03 AM
EX's are pretty hard to break. Believe me you wont even get to that point more than likely because bottoming out is going to hurt enough to keep you from doing crazy stuff that would cause breakage. Jump it a few times and see what Im talking about. Stock EX shocks SUCK! After your legs and the rest of your body take the abuse for a few rides you'll probably be like most other EX owners and order up a set of shocks!

94F450SD
06-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Stock EX shocks SUCK! After your legs and the rest of your body take the abuse for a few rides you'll probably be like most other EX owners and order up a set of shocks!

yup.only had mine a few weeks and bought a set of works front shocks for it.ive got the rear stock shock setup pretty good.but the fronts had to go.way too stiff.

Ex'r Marlin
06-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
EX's are pretty hard to break. Believe me you wont even get to that point more than likely because bottoming out is going to hurt enough to keep you from doing crazy stuff that would cause breakage. Jump it a few times and see what Im talking about. Stock EX shocks SUCK! After your legs and the rest of your body take the abuse for a few rides you'll probably be like most other EX owners and order up a set of shocks!

Ditto.

Also, the front stock shocks on the 400EX do have a weak point at the bottom of the shock, where the eyelet is welded to the bottom of the shock.

I am not as tall as you, but close in weight, and love riding my 400EX with the aftermarket shocks set-up to my body weight. The best investment I made to my 400!:)

-copyguy-
06-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Keep in mind that the fronts on a 400ex are adjustable...i hated my quad on trails until I softened them up.

The rear has a lot of adjustment in it too. I found that I had to soften that one up as well.

It's better, and it'll get me by until I can get some after market ones...either that or a raptor 700 :devil:

rooster300ex
06-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by fjyct
recently i asked if the stock suspension on a 2006 400 ex would hold up from the abuse of jumping, most people said i would be surprised to hear that the stock suspension should hold up good, just is pretty bouncy. one thing i forgot to mention is that im a pretty big guy, 6 foot 2, 250 pounds. being a big guy , should the stock suspension still hold up? im looking into upgrading, but probly wont be able to for atleast 4-6 months.

It will handle up, just not outrageous jumps & height. It will hold up 4-6 months until you can get a new setup. Set the shocks up kinna stiff.

1fst400
06-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I remember some guy that was like 300+ lbs worying about his pegs snaping off. I'm prety shure it was on a 400ex to. If I remember corectly he was still on the stock shocks.

dr.paine
06-07-2006, 08:03 PM
i blew my front shocks out pretty fast once i started hitting big gaps. the rear shock is really good though. Im going to send my rear off to MCR after 5 years of hard abuse, but the fronts shocks were swapped out for works after about a month of riding.

my .02