PDA

View Full Version : What Brand Piston

WheelieMan4
06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
My local dealership gets me great deals so that is where I buy my parts...I need to get a piston and all they can get me is Wiseco, but ive been told that JE is better...but they said that Wiseco is just as good...So I dont know what to think...So im asking, is Wiseco a good enough quality piston?? And which do you all prefer/run...

06-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Get the wiseco

Quad18star
06-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I'll give you my opinion on this .

I worked in a parts store that dealt with both of these performance products on a daily basis in sleds , quads , dirtbikes , go-karts etc .

Wiseco is a good product IF you allow it the proper time to warm up . And when I mean proper time .... I mean a good 10-15 minutes or more . I had numerous guys come back in with their pistons demolished cuz they started up , let idle for 5 minutes and took off riding . I would NEVER recommend a Wiseco piston if you are planning on running in colder temps . They pop all the time .

JE seems to have a great product and have heard very little complaints about people with them . They seem to outlast Wiseco and don't need quite as much time to fully warm up .

400exrules
06-05-2006, 10:08 PM
JE is what im getting. ive heard from several folks that the compression ratio on the wiseco pistons are not very accurate

Blue250X
06-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
JE is what im getting. ive heard from several folks that the compression ratio on the wiseco pistons are not very accurate

the compression ratios are off because they are 11:1 on the XR400, which has a thinner base gasket than the 400ex, so, yea, i think its actually sumthing like 10.8:1? IM not sure, but an XR400 head gasket will get you back up to 11:1. And, back to the original question, I have a wiseco, and, well, i have never had anything else, but, my piston is holding up great, and i sure as crap dont baby my fourwheeler:devil: but, most of the time i dont let it warm up for very long, and it is still goin strong, id say, if u can get the wiseco at a cheaper price, get that. JMO

Mxjunkie
06-06-2006, 11:48 AM
I've had good luck with Wiesco in every motor I've built. :macho

dober250R
06-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I've never seen a wiseco cracked in half. I have seen pictures of numerous JE pistons cracked!!! Wiseco all the way!! If your cylinder is bored within the correct tolerance stated by the piston manufacturer, any piston should work!!

Sjorge450R
06-06-2006, 01:03 PM
i never leave my quad warm up for 15min unless its like 25 degrees out. And it has a wiseco piston.

WheelieMan4
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
so your saying i should just go for it then...get the wiseco for 100 when the je will cost me 160 to get it here by saturday??

thanks guys

JLanphear
06-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by WheelieMan4
so your saying i should just go for it then...get the wiseco for 100 when the je will cost me 160 to get it here by saturday??

thanks guys

I can give you some info to call Wiseco directly and get a piston kit for $70 and change.

You may also want to look at Pro-X...Practically OEM, and they are decently priced.

Can get one of those for about $70 something plus shipping as well.

I personally wouldn't go with Wiseco just based on what I have heard from others.

-Josh