PDA

View Full Version : firend buying a used 450r

racemx
06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
what should he look for buying the used 450r. what are the rs know for. what goes wrong with the rs most of the time. oil problem ? anything. what are the blems on them. any recalss on the 04-05

angry450r
06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
what goes worng with them?.............. its a honda man! what he should look out for is sick amounts of power in any gear and mind blowing speed! NOT FOR THE WEAK HEARTED........YOU ASKED

04'400ex'er
06-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Nothing really, other than the crank bearing issue. But that will be kinda obvious. Just check the oil, look at the chains and sprockets, the obvious stuff.

MMcCannon
06-08-2006, 04:34 PM
The case cracked on my 04, and several others I have talked to have had this happen. It's usually on the back side of the sidecase near the kickstarter. Just somethin to look for. Also, I would stand on the pegs when not moving and shift your weight back and fourth. See if he can hear or feel any knocking, this will indicate and bad bearings/bushings in the swingarm or carrier.

MMcCannon
06-08-2006, 04:37 PM
When I say shift your weight back and fourth, I mean side to side. Forward and backward won't show anything but possibly something loose or wore out in the front suspension. But for the most part.........ITS A HONDA! Should have no issues. :D

400exrider707
06-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by MMcCannon
The case cracked on my 04, and several others I have talked to have had this happen. It's usually on the back side of the sidecase near the kickstarter. Just somethin to look for. Also, I would stand on the pegs when not moving and shift your weight back and fourth. See if he can hear or feel any knocking, this will indicate and bad bearings/bushings in the swingarm or carrier.

That is generally caused from the rider, when hitting the gas while kicking it over. You are NOT supposed to touch the throttle at all while kicking or it will crack the case. That should be obvious though cause if you get it running it will leak. The 05's had crank bearing issues, but they failed within the first few hours so dont sweat it. Other than that check for frame cracks near the back top of the main frame, almost where the subframe connects. Put it on a stand and wiggle everything by hand, that way you can tell what if any bearings/bushings are bad.