PDA

View Full Version : suzuki carb, overheating, float level setting

s10er8
06-05-2006, 06:10 PM
I have an 87 Suzuki lt300 that I just bought, payed $400, it ran good the first day I had it. The second day I went to start it and it wouldn't start so I pulled the seat off to take a look and found the airbox cover and air filer missing. I took the carb apart and cleaned it out (it was filthy) and put it back together. I finally got it running after priming the carb and hand choking it and it ran fine except the exhaust pipe was getting extremely hot, so hot it would burn you without touching it. The next day it would only startup and run for 10 minutes at a time until it ran so hot it would shut off, I done this 3 or 4 times and basically burnt the engine up (I'm going to rebuild it as soon as I fix this problem)

What could be causing it to run hot like this? It has to be running lean, the idle mixture screw doesn't seem to change anything when I turn it

Another problem is the overflow is pouring out gas so the float must be set really high, how do I set the float? I'm guessing turn the carb upside down and set it to where it touches the needle without pressing it in, but how high do I set it?

Also theres a lever on the top of the engine, is this a decompression lever? Thats what it seems to be

Basically I just want it running so I can throw a piston and rings in it and ride it...probably rebuild the whole quad

Thanks in advance :cool:

GPracer2500
06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Where you running it with no filter? That could easily cause the jetting to go lean enough across the board to overheat the engine.

Make sure the carb's insides are spotless--and be sure to blow carb cleaner and compresses air through every passage/hole. It sucks to chase down problems cause by a paritally clogged carb curcuits when you think the carb is allready clean.

Look HERE (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=229923) for advice on setting your fuel screw.

The overflow problem could be float height or a worn needle valve and needle valve seat. Or even a pin hole in the float itself.

Try searching for advice on how to change the float height. I know I've explained it here before. As far as what is the correct spec for the float, you'll need a service manual or talk to a Suzuki ATV mechanic.

If you can't find the correct spec for some reason than just set it where it looks about right. If the quad wants to:
-stall on whoops and rough bumps
-or when braking quickly to a stop
-and fuel leaks excessively out the overflow when the quad is in non-level attitudes

than you set it too high. If the carb starts to starve for fuel after long WOT runs than the level is set too low.

Don't know about the lever. Hope that at least gives you something to go on.

s10er8
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes I was running it without a filter, that was probably my whole entire problem.

Thanks that was good information, the 4 stroke idle fuel screw is exactly like a Holley which is something I can relate to (screw in for lean and out for rich)

Ive searched for float levels but cant seem to find it, does anybody here have a chiltons manual for an 87 Suzuki lt300?

s10er8
06-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I figured out the problem, the intake flange that is between the carb and the head is cracked all the way around and sucking in air and my float level was set high. I lowered the float and it's not pouring gas out anymore

s10er8
06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
oh and I thought all the smoke was from oil burning but it must have been gas from the carb flooding, so the engine is fine and doesn't need rings