PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Question

ghott
06-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I just bought a 2005 TRX450R 5 days ago, and I feel that it is geared a little too high for me. When riding in slow woods trails, I'm always having to ride the clutch...and that can't be too great for it. I'm not too concerned about top speed, but I'd like a little more power on the bottom end...wheelies for the most part.

I searched a good bit and found that most people recommended stepping from a 14 tooth in the front down to a 13 tooth sprocket. But I didn't find a whole lot about changing the rear sprocket as well. If I were to go from a 14T to a 13T in the front, would I need to step the rear sprocket up or down as well? How would this affect the bikes performance? Would I need a new chain if I were to change either sprocket or both? (The bike has about 8 hours on it total - not much wear/tear) Or would I just need to adjust the chain to keep 30mm of play?

Any detailed information would be very much appreciated...Thanks!

accorracer
06-05-2006, 07:18 PM
i went to a 13t because i felt the same way you did. i reccomend the 13t and just ride that a while

your stock chain length will work fine. if you want to gear even lower just go up a couple teeth in the rear

1t down in the front is equal to about 2.5 up in the rear

HRC_rider
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I just put a 13 up front on my '05 but I haven't been out on it yet so I can't tell you much about it other than I read all the same stuff you did and had the clutching issues in the woods. If you've only got 8 hours on your bike I wouldn't bother changing the chain or the rear sprocket (if you keep it).

Check this link for a gearing chart ->http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/toc.htm

ghott
06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the quick responses and the link.

Honestly, I'm just looking for a gear ratio that will be good all around...decent top end...and a nice bottom end...and hopefully the 12t sprocket up front will give that to me.

Another question...how hard are they to install?

4ABURN
06-06-2006, 06:49 AM
there easy to install, I have a 12 tooth on my 06 for the woods and I love it.:D

LazeR
06-06-2006, 07:32 AM
I have a 13 on my 05 450 and i love it. It still has awesome top end but it gives it a lot more bottom end and makes it so that it isnt as high geared! :macho

JW450R1
06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
i tried the 13 tooth which helps out a lot.when i went up 2 teeth in the rear it seemed like it took away the engine power curve,i really didn't like it at all.i finally installed a full hmf exhaust and rejetted with the air-box lid off,andreinstalled stock rear sprocket back on with 13 tooth in front.wow what a difference.from what i've been told is that the 450r is lacking low end torque.all i can tell u is what i've experinced.i think the pipe and jet kit,and sprocket really did it for me.

ghott
06-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks very much guys, picked up a 13t sprocket today.