PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!!!!!!

Chin_Chilla
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I RECENTLY HAD A 440KIT INSTALLED ON MY 2002 400EX, IT WAS A 12.5:1 KIT, WHICH HAD A WISECO PISTON, NAMURA SLEEVE, ALL GASKETS, A HOTCAMS STAGE 2 CAM, AND ALSO A BARNETT DIRT DIGGER CLUTCH KIT. I DIDNT NOTICE AT THE SHOP BUT THE QUAD IS MAKING LIKE A RATTLING NOISE AND IT SEEMS TO BE COMING OUT OF THE CYLINDER. WHEN I GIVE IT A LITTLE THROTTLE IT GETS LOUDER AND SO ON. AT IDLE YOU CAN BARELY HEAR IT, BUT GIVE IT GAS AND IT GETS LOUDER AND LOUDER. AM I JUST OVEREXAGERATING OR IS THIS A DANGEROUS THING? ANYBODY WITH A 440 EX, DID YOU HAVE THIS SAME THING OR DOES MINE HAVE SOMETHING WRONG. IM DESPERATE FOR SOME ANSWERS THIS WEEKEND IM GOING TO THE DUNES AND I DONT WANT TO SHOW UP OVER THERE WITH A TICKING TIME BOMB. THANKS, IVAN HERNANDEZ.

GPracer2500
06-05-2006, 05:49 PM
My first thoughts are that it's normal valve train noise. Is it coming from the valve area (the very top of the cylinder)? 400EXs with high lift/duration cams seem to like to tick even when everything is OK.

Make sure the valves are adjusted--loose clearences can promote valve chatter. Too loose is better than too tight though. Some say a noisey valve is a happy valve. Probably true some of the time but I wouldn't dare say it's true all of the time.

Second thing is make sure your using high octane race gas with that much compression. Premium pump gas will detonate all over the place. Detonation sounds like a metallic ringing or knocking coming from the cylinder and is most prevelent under high load engine conditions.

Chin_Chilla
06-06-2006, 09:27 AM
yea maybe the gas because im running regular pump gas. the mechanic said to run it out of the engine and not to syphen it out, then wen its empty to run race gas. what race gas do u recommend i run on it and where can i get some. also will it require me to mix with premium unleaded or just run race gas? thanks a mil, Ivan.