PDA

View Full Version : hmf

exridr400
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
is hmf the second best pipe for a 400ex. and does the full to the slip on matter a lot or is big difference having the full then just having the slip on

exrider93
06-05-2006, 06:15 PM
the best pipe i think is either hmf or sparks ......................and the full system is a lot of difference from the slip on

exridr400
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
one person says hmf is good does any one else agree. and where can you get it the cheapest

exridr400
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
one person says hmf is good does any one else agree. and where can you get it the cheapest

tar
06-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes HMFs are good. Just look around on the internet you will find a good deal.

buster024
06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
motosport.com is usually one of the cheapest, although they never have anything in stock. Rocky Mountain is usually more, but they almost always have good inventory. Try Ebay, sometimes you can get lucky.

boricua
06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
i would expect to pay at least 180 for the pipe, new. if your lucky...you can find them for less slightly used. when i searched, the average price was right around 200 bucks. this is for the slip on. full system cost more, like 100 dollars more.....
i have a hmf slip on, i like it. its loud, much louder than i expected. but once my helmet is on i dont even notice it, to bad for those around me:devil:

miller821
06-06-2006, 01:16 PM
HMF is a good pipe, IDK if its the best or not but it is good. Sweetquads.com is the cheapest i've seen at $195 I think, check it out but you'll prob. have to call em cause its prob. not on there site.

400exstud
06-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by boricua
i would expect to pay at least 180 for the pipe, new. if your lucky...you can find them for less slightly used. when i searched, the average price was right around 200 bucks. this is for the slip on. full system cost more, like 100 dollars more.....
i have a hmf slip on, i like it. its loud, much louder than i expected. but once my helmet is on i dont even notice it, to bad for those around me:devil:

your right for slip on prices, but full systems are between $400 and $450.

exridr400
06-06-2006, 08:13 PM
should i get the slip on or the full. im not that rich and i still have to pay off my fourwheeler

boricua
06-06-2006, 08:31 PM
many will say one or the other. it was explained to me that a bigger diameter header with a smaller motor actually makes less power. i havent been able to get a straight answer as to what the difference is on a full system's header and a stock header, bigger diameter, different collector style, collector placement, etc.. i would guess its bigger. and on a stock motor, probably going to lose a little on the lower end and maybe gain a little on the upper end. thats with a stock motor. a slip on will be a noticeable gain after jetting.
anyone care to debate that?

exridr400
06-07-2006, 08:16 PM
slip on would be good

dnatt
06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
I am kind of in the same boat. I want to get an HMF pipe, but I don't know whether to get the full or the slip-on. I have a stock motor. Is it a waste of money to get the full system? The only other thing I plan on getting is an air filter (uni or k&n). Of course I will have it jetted to. I have heard if you have a too much flow with no mods, you will lose power. I just having an air filter & full exhaust going to be good. I am kind of leaning towards the slip-on, but I just don't know. I have read every single post regarding HMF pipes & I still can't decide. Any ideas on this would help me out a bunch. Thanks

GPracer2500
06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Personally, I wouldn't get a full system for a stock engine. The extra money for a full system is better spend on other things IMO. Remember that hoping-up engines isn't usually as simple as inserting Tab A into Slot B. Each component you add/change should be "matched" to the other compenents you've added/changed.

Like boricua was saying, it's debatable whether a full system is actually going to help on a stock engine--and it might actually hurt power in places [shrug].

HERE'S (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218341) a short discussion about exhaust flow. Exhaust gas velocity is the real key to performance. A large diameter, high-flowing header that flows tons of air may not work well with an engine that can't pump that much exhaust gas out.

Here's what I would do: get a slip-on, an air filter, remove or vent the airbox lid, and rejet the carburator (maybe remove the choke too). If you want to spend more money then consider a higher compression piston and aftermarket camshaft before anything else. If you're careful, I bet $300-$400 could get you a cam and a stock bore 10.5:1 piston installed. That route is gonna give you a nice reliable power increase over stock while keeping the cost reasonable.

slip on: 200
piston: 150
cam: 135
air filter: 30
jets: 20

So your lookin' at maybe $550 or so for parts [shrug]. Do the install yourself and you could squeeze in under $600 if your carefull (there are always incidental costs you never think of). If you're not ready to buy a service manual and tackle a piston/cam install yourself than find a local shop to do it.

Once you've done that, then start to consider bigger bores, even higher compression, different carbs, and a full exhaust system.

Oh, one last thing to consider. Full systems do LOOK better than stock. I'm sure there are some people out there who would want a full system exhaust just for the looks alone. And there's nothing wrong with that.

thats my $0.02

burtonrider496
06-10-2006, 08:40 AM
will i be disipointed in the slip on with a 13 tooth sprocket