PDA

View Full Version : K&N or Uni??

bpimpdaddy21
08-11-2002, 07:26 PM
I just put a K&N air filter w/ Outerwear on my 400EX, and the conditions have been really dusty lately, I have only been on two rides with this K&N, and I love the power that I gaMy ined with it and my T-4 slip-on. My question is if I get a Uni for the dusty conditions, will I have to rejet it again, and will I lose any power with it. I am wondering if I really should get the Uni, cuase I do not want my quad to be suckin dust into the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bpimpdaddy21
08-11-2002, 07:28 PM
or would anyone recommend a twin air??

own2424
08-11-2002, 07:29 PM
KEEP THE K&N!!!!!! :D

bpimpdaddy21
08-11-2002, 07:34 PM
so you think that as long as i keep the filter clean, that it should stop the dust?

bpimpdaddy21
08-11-2002, 07:59 PM
I just want to know that if I keep my K&N clean, and make sure that it is clamped down good and oiled good, will I be able to stop the dust from getting into my engine, that is all that I am worried about. Let me know.

ridered86
08-11-2002, 08:13 PM
keep the K and N i love mine and have had no probs. you just clean it every or every other ride, so what its worth it

Sportrax10
08-11-2002, 08:26 PM
get a uni!! i dont kno if you have to re-jet, but its not worth getting dust in ur engine... it eventually will get in and i wouldnt risk it, jmo

you just clean it every or every other ride, so what its worth it
sry its just not worth it to me because even if you clean it that much it can still get in little by little

bpimpdaddy21
08-11-2002, 08:29 PM
yeah, i am kinda torn on this one.

crashinmatt
08-11-2002, 09:23 PM
i have a friend, well a friend of a friend. that said that the uni lets more dirt in than k&n. he used to run unis and always had to clean his airboot out. with his k&n he hasnt had any problems. the only difference i see that would make the uni better is the price.

DJFuzzyNut
08-11-2002, 09:33 PM
I used to run a K&N on mine and recently changed to a UNI. I was told the K&N's do better in dusty conditions and UNI's do better in wet conditions. I really can't tell the difference between the two.

SGA
08-11-2002, 09:53 PM
I've ran both. The K&N gives a little more power. You should be o/k if you keep it oiled and run a outerwear. I run a UNI now. There is NO way dust can get through a properly oiled UNI. The UNI is just like the stock filter, only alot bigger.
The K&N takes more maintenance in my opinion.

cals400ex
08-11-2002, 11:41 PM
would the uni be a better filter than the twin air? or are they basically the same thing? i would recommend the foam over the k and n. if you hold the k and n up in the light you can see through them. i would think dust would pass through. on the other hand i would think the k and n would give a little better throttle response.

stocktires
08-12-2002, 12:02 AM
I run a k&n with outwear on my R. It has an aftermarket airbox lid (big hole in the middle). I keep the filter clean and when I took of my carb boot, there was NOTHING in it. Not even the SLIGHTEST amout of dust or anything.
I have never ran a foam on my R, and never will. My frined has a stock foam filter and its just crap.
the uni's and twin air's may be a lil better. But I do almost every type of riding (some slight mud, sand, trails, mx) and the K&N if kept clean will work flawlessly.
but this is only my experience, the k&n filters can get "blown", And then you've gota problem (when you dont know that its blow).

phatswinn
08-12-2002, 09:21 AM
actually, on the box for the k&n it says that if you are in dusty conditions the more dust on the filter the bester, the dust catches more dust, thats why on the filter you will have clumps of dirt and regulardirt patches, and i dont think the outerwares are good, it doesent catch much and ive tryed with and without and there was the same amount of dirt on the filter with a couple or dark spotso on the air resricting outerwares

just my $.02

Str8Wicked
08-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Do what I do when you go out riding for a long weekend. Buy an extra K&N and keep it oiled. By the second day take off the filter and put the new oiled one on. This way you can keep riding without worries and it takes only a few mins.

When i get back I just clean both of them and keep one in a big zip lock bag ready for the next long weekend.

YamaWarr0121
08-12-2002, 12:49 PM
i do the same as str8 does but i have a uni for seriously dusty conditions in which i cant even see, but i never use it and no i dont have to change the jetting, the k and n is soposed to have dust on it, dust makes it run better or something i unno thats what the box says!
well its mad dusty out and im fine with the kn with outerwears, just clean out the airbox, and switch them up!

ewalker302
08-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Buy a Uni Filter they Flow the same, filter cleaner, and are cheaper.

People are so up on K&N because they spend a lot more on advertising than Uni.

And after somebody spends 50 bucks for a K&N he's gonna post that they are great just because he desent want to feel ripped off.

Dont take my word for it read the question about this on the Faq page where they ask Mickey Dunlap the same thing.

neece0330
08-05-2003, 10:39 AM
I run the K&N most of the time... and run a Uni in the sand it works better