PDA

View Full Version : Painting Plastics

waycott_259
06-04-2006, 07:40 PM
i have a spare set of fenders and was wondering if theres any way of painting them black that wont look ugly?

MOS300ex
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Get some very fine grit sandpaper. Rub them down really good, get all the edges and everything like that. Try sanding out any blemishes. After your done, get some rubbing alcohol and rub them down to clean them up really good. Ive found rubbing alcohol to be great for this purpose but any cleaner will do as long as it does not leave a residue behind, as most cleaners tend to do. Krylon makes a spray paint specifically for plastics. Get some and go to town on it. It will look awesome.

A couple months ago i took my grab bar and front bumper off my ex and hit them up with a die grinder and a paint stripper then hit em with a coat of primer and some of the Krylon plastics spray paint and they turned out unbelievable. Be sure when you paint to use long even strokes, overlap about and inch on each pass so that you dont get light areas. Be sure to watch the paint and make sure it doesnt start to run. Dont be afraid to do a couple light coats. Light coats will keep you from having runs in it. Make sure to let the paint dry for like half hour between coats. If you can set up a small paintbooth outta a big box and some plastic then thatd help. You can also get some PVC pipe and make one up. Itll help to keep dust from settling onto the paint and getting specs in it during the final coat.