PDA

View Full Version : 11;1 440 no start

DAVE14
06-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I just put my wiseco 11;1 440 back together & its at tdc for sure with all timing marks lined up for sure new valves & heads ground for perfect seal etc. new head gasket ,base gasket new rings super clean sleave & piston in the jug thats fairly new theres definitely fuel & spark & the arrow on the piston is goin the right way so I wont smack the valves this time (the arrow on the Honda piston points the oposite way ) but she wont fire still & I give up I dont know what to buy any more or have done when I got new everything fuel spark compression & perfect timing Im stumped & dont see what I could be overlooking

beaker1214
06-04-2006, 08:36 PM
I actually just got a new piston put in my motor and when i got mine all back together it wouldnt start. It was hitting once in a while but it would never run, so we checked everything and it had spark, timing, and fuel so we finally pulled it around the yard and it fired right up after a few seconds. I dunno if the motor was tight or what the deal was but if u havent already tried that i would. hope its something simple like that!

hotrodbelair
06-04-2006, 08:38 PM
i had the same thing with my 440. found out that i needed the spring and plunger for the decompression. if your running stock cam you need the decompession mechanism.

DAVE14
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
I forgot to mention It has the hotcams stroker cam in there so the decomp assembly isnt an issue any other ideas ?

cals400ex
06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
is it like trying to start and won't or is it not even trying? fuel turned on? run switch on? spark plug boot on?

ohsobad_chevy
06-05-2006, 07:55 AM
DAVE, did you rejet it after you bored to a 440? Might blow some carb cleaner through the carb and make sure you dont have a clogged pilot circuit or anything like that. I'm sure that it is something simple, you have pretty much covered everything else that I can think of.

DAVE14
06-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I put a 42 pilot jet in there & it has a 170 main hopefully that combo will be good once it starts & yes fuel is on the ignition shut down button is on Im gonna go try again now but it only popped once last night & didnt seem like it was trying to start at all

DAVE14
06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I can get it to pop but will not fire i popped the rocker cover off looked at my cam position & all my ttiming marks at the crank & top gear & eveything is where it should be ,theres fuel plug fires etc.

hotrodbelair
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
in my 440 i ended up puttin a 45 pilot in it cause with the 42 would back fire like crazy when i let off the throttle. are you running stock carb? maybe try a new spark plug.

ohsobad_chevy
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
in my 440 i ended up puttin a 45 pilot in it cause with the 42 would back fire like crazy when i let off the throttle. are you running stock carb? maybe try a new spark plug.

Keep in mind where he is at. What elevation you at Dave?

DAVE14
06-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Im not sure of my elevation Im in niagara Falls On. canada right beside New York state it is the stock carb & it was jetted before with a 170 main & stock 38 pilot so i decided on trying the 42 its been a 440 since last fall & used to run great till i blew a head gasket & yes theres gt thunder studs in there ever since Ive been screwing with it to find low compression , bent valves so i fixed all that popped in new rings gaskets etc. & now theres no action at all everythings on time with spark & fuel

ohsobad_chevy
06-06-2006, 08:30 AM
I googled it, You are at approximately 350 ft. in niagara falls. I would think that you are good with the 42 pilot. All the things that I can think of that could be wrong have been listed and you said that you have tried em. I am sure that when you find out what the problem was, it will be something simple, usually is.
If I think of anything else, I will post it.

400exrider707
06-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Well if your absolutely sure that your valves are not hitting, the I would go ahead and try to get it to popstart, I dont think you said you tried that yet. This sounds exactly like what happened to mine and it was the decompression spring and plunger like stated before, but you have the hotcam so that should be taken care of. Have you done a compression test yet? I know you said you just rebuilt it but I would definitely give that a shot. If you have all of those other things and no compression it wont run.

On a side note haven't seen you on here in a while!? Did you ditch the 12.5:1 piston? Finally get sick of blowing crap apart and running race gas all the time? Take it easy and let us know how this turns out.

DAVE14
06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I havent tried the pop start yet Ill need a little help to get that done Ill use a dirt road my truck & a friend of mine as for the 12.5 ;1 it isnt its an 11;1 thats what wiseco said & the serial numbers right on their website indicated that ,also which is fine by me because I can run regular high test 91-94 something I can actually find at the pumps other than that the cyl /piston are cleaner than hell with another set of rings all gaskets & everything in right with spark & fuel so Ill go agrevate myself some more& see what happens !!!

DAVE14
06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I tore the engine all down to nothin didnt find anything wrong & upon reassembly I noticed 1 of my head studs wouldnt torque up & click it kept turning & pulling the stud & yes there gt thunder studs in there but that one had a helicoil in it Im pretty sure & the machine shop said it would hold up fine well it did for a quarter of the season when it ran which hasnt been very much lately so I obviously suspect low compression as my (no start) problem & its hard to test because my automotive comp tester doesnt fit very well down the plug hole & cant snug the fitting all the way down for an acurate reading after cranking

honda460ex
06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Question to you... Have you ran that stroker cam in your quad before???? Because, that cam is DEFINATELY NOT made for your motor setup. The Hotcams Stroker Cam was designed specificaly for a modified +4mm stroked motor. Trust me, I spoke directly to Hotcams about this a few months ago. Reason being, the stroker cam has a longer duration to make up for the longer stroke. Meaning that it holds the valves open a longer amount of time. I think it is actually around 8 degrees longer duration than the Stage 2 cam. So may not sound like much in a 360 degree revolution, but it is. That along with the combination of the head gasket could definately be causing your problem of it not wanting to start. My advice, change to a Stage 2 Hotcam. They run great, promise, had one in my quad up until I stroked my motor and put the stroker cam in it. Lol, or, you could just stroke your motor! Little more expensive though, trust me, lol. But what that stroker cam is doing now in your quad is holding the valves open to long and causing you to lose pressure in the cylinder. Hope this helps..

hotrodbelair
06-08-2006, 11:48 PM
the stroker cam is deffenitly not the problem i have the stroker cam in my quad with the 440 big bore kit ran with out a problem. it even says it on there website made for big bore and stroker motors.

DAVE14
06-09-2006, 01:22 PM
the cam has been in there since fall & it used to run great & very strong I have another cyl Im getting restuded & sleaved because that pulled stud that wouldnt torque up has to be the source of my compression problem

honda460ex
06-10-2006, 12:51 AM
All I know is that the tech guy from Hotcams told me that that cam was meant for stroker motors only. +4mm to be exact. He said that they specifically designed that cam just to go along with the 460cc bore & stroker crank and rod they came out with that is a Hotrods product, which is together with Hotcams. I'm not going to argue that your quads didn't or don't run good, if you say they do then I'm sure they do. But to much duration and lift can be a bad thing. I mean, to much will take away from your low end power, torque. I'm curious, how does yours run on the low end with the stroker cam and stock stroke? What do you have backing it up on compression?

DAVE14
06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
its an 11;1 piped jetted open box , k&n etc. I was always worried about the stock rod but 11;1 isnt too crazy for the stock rod & if I bought a rod I might as well stroke it but am totally worried about clearance issues this bike was very fast & much stronger than the average ex but its been in peices so long & Im so sick of not riding while I have trails right behind my yard & people cruisin by everyday I want decent performance or i wouldnt of bought a sportbike but right now reliability & turnkey operation I would kill for, I almost wanna go to the dealers & come home with a new Raptor it should be quick enough & have all the low end I could use I am digusted looking at a stripped down frame ,half a motor & parts everywhere

honda460ex
06-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I totally understand that! This past summer I lost the main gear in my transmission that drives the tranny with the clutch basket. Lost it in January. Finally tore it down after about 4 months, stroked it, replaced some gears, put it back together. Then a month after that I totaled the frame in a wreck racing a Trinity 686 Raptor, lol, I won! But trashed the frame because I couldn't stop in time. Then two months later got it back together only to have a friend run into it and break my spindle in two and trash a few more things. So another month after that I got it together again. Motor has been great! Just every other stupid thing that can happen has. Smile and go on, I guess that's all you can do. Good luck on getting it back together.