PDA

View Full Version : 450R shocks on a 400EX

gojufist
06-04-2006, 07:06 PM
will 450 front shocks fit the 400 ?

Scro
06-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Yes, I have seen it done before. I have heard of people having to grind some of the mount down, and others just bolted right up.

jmccary
06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
They actually work quite well. I put some on my ex and it was a huge improvement. I think i will have them revalved this winter but they are still 10x better than stock. They fit pretty well but there is a small nut where the plastic mounts to the frame that gets in the way. Just need to grind it down a bit and it should work just fine. The shocks fit very snug in the mounting brackets. It's a great improvement if you are low on $$ like me and can't afford the good stuff.

peecout
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jmccary
They actually work quite well. I put some on my ex and it was a huge improvement. I think i will have them revalved this winter but they are still 10x better than stock. They fit pretty well but there is a small nut where the plastic mounts to the frame that gets in the way. Just need to grind it down a bit and it should work just fine. The shocks fit very snug in the mounting brackets. It's a great improvement if you are low on $$ like me and can't afford the good stuff.

You dont need to grind the nut or the shock mount!. All you do is take a flat head scewdriver and a hammer and tap the little nut off the inside of the shock mount. Then you but a new buttonhead bolt and push it up threw where you knocked the nut off. Bolt up the plastic with the nut on top of the shock mount. Do a search!! there are plenty of posts about this.

johnsls
06-09-2006, 07:36 AM
I just installed the 450R shocks on my 02 400 and I not only had to grind down the little nut but I also needed to grind down the mounting bracket. The shock eye hole would not line up, I realize that a little bit of grinding was needed. No harm came from grinding.

Iliketogofast
06-09-2006, 11:14 AM
My buddy has this setup with 1 or 2 inch wider arms (I can't remember) and a Works rear. It worked very well. They are a little stiff but I don't think he had adjusted them correctly when I rode it.

It cornered very well, but that was because of the extended arm length. The shocks made for really good landings. I could actually hit this huge jump that previously bottomed all of my shocks before on my EX, except that time it was silky smooth.

The only thing is that they have terrible low speed bump dampening and it only gets worse when you're going fast. I dont know, maybe they were tight because he didn't modify them enough before they went in and they have a tight fit on the eyes.

Overall a worthwhile mod - they are ten times better than those garbage 400EX shocks.